from Widget to App - how many steps???

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by dubhe, Aug 28, 2009.

1. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Ok, novice developer here, but I hope to fit more of it around my real job, wife, baby etc

I wrote a basic widget to do a simple calculation I do a lot at work, it has about four numbers input, a couple of yes/no selectors and about 10 lines of calculation which results in a single number answer. This took me about six hours to write in javascript (which I had never used before).

Would it be easy to convert this to an app? Or would I have to learn a whole new code? I wrote the widget in dashcode.

All the apps I am going to make will be mathematical/trigonometry based. I might want to grab my gps position or possibly the compass direction, but I will not need any access to the internet. Which is the easiest but fitting language for me to learn?

Many, many thanks.

2. dukeofism macrumors member

If you are writing the app for the iPhone you will need to learn Objective-C. Apple has a tutorial available here.

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

There's also the possibility of somehow getting your widget running inside a UIWebView. But I have no real idea how successful this would be and how much of the Dashcode specifics are supported in a webView. And you'd probably still need to be somewhat comfortable with Objective-C in order to have the "package" of the app working.

4. dubhe thread starter macrumors 65816

dubhe

Ok, so no quick fix, need to learn Objective-C, thanks for the info guys. :)

5. firewood macrumors 604

Actually there is a quick fix.

There is example code (example apps) of how to completely wrap a web widget into an iPhone app. You can copy and paste a couple pages of Obj-C code to launch a UIWebView, and code the entire guts of your app in JavaScript (plus HTML5 with CSS) running inside that UIWebView. Just using JavaScript/HTML5 you can get access to Location Services, SQL local storage, canvas graphics, table views, some Core Graphic transition animations, and etc.

No need to learn Obj-C...

...unless you need a very few special features, Open GL 3D, or other high-end graphics or number crunching performance, etc.