Frommers European Maps Question

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by macdaddy01, Aug 17, 2008.

1. macdaddy01 macrumors member

I am traveling to Europe next month, and I am looking for some good London and Paris maps for my 3G. Can someone tell me if the Frommers apps have detailed maps for these 2 cities? I am trying to avoid AT&T's expensive data roaming fees, because I imagine using GPS+Google maps would download load a lot of data.

Does anybody have any experience with the Frommers maps or maps from another travel app?

Can I cache the Google maps on my phone?

Are there any worldwide GSM SIMs that have reasonable data rates (I have an officially unlocked 3G iPhone)?

2. mappyman macrumors regular

If you know where you are going, then use the program "offlinemaps" on cydia - if your iphone is jailbroken.

It gets the maps from Google and saves them for offline browsing.

3. macdaddy01 thread starter macrumors member

Can a US citizen buy a prepaid SIM with unlimited data in London and Paris? If so, can someone tell give a rough price?

4. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

check out the £6 london tube app - has places of interest and you'll need a tube map if you're in london!

lots of free wifi around so googlemaps should run fine.

5. mappyman macrumors regular

There are a few WiFi hot spots for free in london.

Also, yes with some providers you can get prepaid SIMs with unlimited data plans for only £7.50 - £15.

6. kis macrumors 65816

there's no such thing as unlimited prepaid in Europe. Prices for data in Europe are exorbitant.

7. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I know this is not the answer you are looking for, but I would just rent a phone locally and use a guide book for maps/places of interest.

8. macdaddy01 thread starter macrumors member

My phone is unlocked, so I plan on renting a local SIM or a worldwide SIM. I would like to know if there is a reasonable prepaid data plan to use for the UK. A data plan would be nice for GPS, since tracking down free WiFi just to load Google maps would seem like a waste of time. Even though people say that free wifi is everywhere, I find that it is hard to find.