Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdaddy01

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Cali
I am traveling to Europe next month, and I am looking for some good London and Paris maps for my 3G. Can someone tell me if the Frommers apps have detailed maps for these 2 cities? I am trying to avoid AT&T's expensive data roaming fees, because I imagine using GPS+Google maps would download load a lot of data.

Does anybody have any experience with the Frommers maps or maps from another travel app?

Can I cache the Google maps on my phone?

Are there any worldwide GSM SIMs that have reasonable data rates (I have an officially unlocked 3G iPhone)?

mappyman

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
UK
If you know where you are going, then use the program "offlinemaps" on cydia - if your iphone is jailbroken.

It gets the maps from Google and saves them for offline browsing.

macdaddy01

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Cali
Can a US citizen buy a prepaid SIM with unlimited data in London and Paris? If so, can someone tell give a rough price?

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
check out the £6 london tube app - has places of interest and you'll need a tube map if you're in london!

lots of free wifi around so googlemaps should run fine.

mappyman

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
UK
Can a US citizen buy a prepaid SIM with unlimited data in London and Paris? If so, can someone tell give a rough price?

There are a few WiFi hot spots for free in london.

Also, yes with some providers you can get prepaid SIMs with unlimited data plans for only £7.50 - £15.

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
I am traveling to Europe next month, and I am looking for some good London and Paris maps for my 3G. Can someone tell me if the Frommers apps have detailed maps for these 2 cities? I am trying to avoid AT&T's expensive data roaming fees, because I imagine using GPS+Google maps would download load a lot of data.

Does anybody have any experience with the Frommers maps or maps from another travel app?

Can I cache the Google maps on my phone?

Are there any worldwide GSM SIMs that have reasonable data rates (I have an officially unlocked 3G iPhone)?

I know this is not the answer you are looking for, but I would just rent a phone locally and use a guide book for maps/places of interest.

macdaddy01

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Cali
My phone is unlocked, so I plan on renting a local SIM or a worldwide SIM. I would like to know if there is a reasonable prepaid data plan to use for the UK. A data plan would be nice for GPS, since tracking down free WiFi just to load Google maps would seem like a waste of time. Even though people say that free wifi is everywhere, I find that it is hard to find.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.