Front facing camera + Apps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iSkier, Jun 9, 2010.

1. iSkier macrumors regular

Will apps such as Skype be able to utilize the functions of the cameras for video calling? I am getting the iPhone 4 and my dad and uncle have Skype and we video chat all the time. So will apps like this be able to use the cameras in development? Discuss.

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Pretty sure they'll utlize it, but skypes gonna start charging so be prepared, but I imagine lots of apps will use the front facing camera!

3. iSkier thread starter macrumors regular

You really think Skype will start charging? That doesn't make sense, that's like the basis of their service.

4. mikey2004 macrumors regular

mikey2004

Will you be able to take pictures with the front facing camera or will it be only for video conferences?

5. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

You may take pictures... but at 0.3 megapixels don't expect anything brilliant.

-Dale

6. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Where was this spec posted? Just curious.

7. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

"VGA quality" is 0.3 MP.

FTR: EVO FFC is 1.3 MP.

8. Matthew. macrumors regular

Here. VGA is 640x480 pixels, which is 0.3 megapixels.

9. ODog4523 macrumors regular

ODog4523

Jobs said that the FaceTime protocols will be an open standard so one should expect it to show up on other devices, but we need to know if the front facing camera APIs will be available to 3rd party developers in iOS4 so we can have Skype and google video chats. You'd think he would've mentioned that too.

On the Evo we've already seen a few 3rd party apps that use its front camera, so let's hope iPhone 4 offers the same. I wouldn't be surprised if we were limited to Apple's native app until the next iOS update though.