Front facing camera pic flipped

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Skull21, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Skull21 macrumors regular

When I take a pic with the front facing camera, the image produced is flipped. Does anyone else have this problem or is this normal?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

Every time I upload a front-facing picture it is sideways or upside down. When I go to change it, it always reverts back or stretches. This is with MobileMe.

4. Skull21 thread starter macrumors regular

What I mean is the picture I take with the front camera reverses the produced image. For example, if the object in the picture is on the left, the saved photo will be on the right.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

the same happens for me (image result is reversed).

6. Skull21 thread starter macrumors regular

Is this supposed to be normal?

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

If you think about, the live image you see is the screen is the one that is flipped but the result is the correct orientation.

If you point the front camera towards some text and look at the live image, the text has been flipped vertically and is unreadable, but when you snap a photo, the result and the text is the correct orientation and is now legible.

[​IMG]

8. Skull21 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the explanation! I thought something was wrong with the camera lol.

9. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I get that with my car every so often. So annoying.

[​IMG]

10. MrMojoRising23, Dec 28, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013

MrMojoRising23 macrumors newbie

Front facing camera produces "mirror" image,... design flaw

Yes, I know the problem. I cannot believe they intentionally designed it this way. Seems pretty strange to me. I believe it can be fixed pretty easily in the software. Hopefully, in the next OS update! When you "snap" the picture, the stored image is the correct orientation. In the old cameras, the optical viewfinder, reversed the image the same way, as you see on the iPad screen. I hope their intent was not to emulate this archaic useless bit of "nostalgia", because that would be a really bad idea.

11. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I think it's because people are so accustomed to looking at themselves in a mirror so they replicated that horizontal flipping for user comfort. If it's not flipped, you'd be surprised at how weird it seems (try with a desktop webcam sometime where you can turn the effect on and off).

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I had a similar issue with my iPhone the other day - kind of ticked me off. I had to import them into Pixelmator and export them out as a JPG That fixed it for some reason.