front facing camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WRXface, Jun 8, 2009.

1. WRXface macrumors regular

who really was looking forward to a front facing camera and would really use it?

to me i find it pointless and just wouldnt look good with the whole iphone design

what do you guys think?

2. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Front facing camera just complicates things.very glad it wasn't added

3. exhibit.b macrumors regular

It would have been nice. If they would have done it like they do the isight cams on the macbooks it wouldn't even be that noticeable. There are a lot of situations where a front facing camera would come in handy. It might not be for everybody, but still would be a welcome addition to "the most advanced phone in the world". My only problem would be that AT&T would find a way to screw us for video chat.

4. Rox1256 macrumors newbie

A front facing camera would be of no use to me. I don't have anyone to video chat with anyway, due to the fact all my friends are poor and couldn't afford anything to video chat on with me. I have had a cam on my macbook for years nowl and have yet to video chat with anyone..

5. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

I would use a front facing camera to take emo myspace pics and video chat people. Id be happy to have a ichat video app that only works on wifi. It would make me go out and buy it, and would make for great media buzz, i find it hilarious that out of the 4 big updates to the iphone they release is that it has a ****ing compass, i mean c'mon, and i find it BS that iphone 3g wont be allowed to have video recording and voice control. my long discarded razer had voice controls. Ima gonna jailbreak just to get video recording in protest of this BS

6. nfl46 macrumors 603

I wouldn't have used it. I barely use the regular camera.

7. TLewis macrumors 65816

It would have been nice, but it's certainly not essential -- not by a long shot.

Keep in mind that, while many people wouldn't use it, many others would, and I'm sure app writers would find some cool uses for it. To those people who say, "I wouldn't use it": sure, but you're not the center of the universe, and, just because you wouldn't use it, that doesn't mean that others wouldn't.

That said, the iPhone is a tradeoff between features and price/profit. At the moment, the iPhone doesn't have any really big competition, although Android and Pre may become such in the future. Because of this, Apple doesn't really need to add hardware like a front-facing camera, now, because that would increase the cost and decrease Apple's profit. Of course, depending upon future competition, Apple could certainly add such a feature, later, since new iPhone models need to continually have new features of some type.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

It seems video chat via cell phone is more of a novelty at this time. I know some would use it, but not the masses it seems.

Personally, I would rather have the camera improvements that Apple made than the addition of a front facing camera.

9. blaker13 macrumors member

Of coarse!

Video chat would have been awesome! i mean i live in a collage town and there are plenty of women who love to flash and have fun on the phones.... coulda showed you all the great town of amherst mass! Then you would really appreciate video calls... but of coarse apple will not put that out till next time so we have to buy yet another phone.... just like they wont make a 120gb phone right away because then everyone has to buy one every year... if i had 120 gb's on my phone i wouldnt need my ipod..lol

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, the camera improvements that were made are way more important than a front-facing camera.

11. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Totally agree...the improvements they made will do wonders for the iphone camera. It will replace my traditional point and shoot for most things (nikon coolpix 950, I rarely lug it around as it is though).

A front facing camera would get used very little...I think people over estimate exactly how much they would REALLY use it.

12. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

exactly. have you ever tried to video chat over anything less than extremely fast internet? even on 1.5MB/s you can't multi person...

video chatting over 3G would be like sending pictures with cut out audio.

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Good point.

I've found Skype to be much better for video chat in low bandwidth or with a variable connection. Cell phone networks, and in many cases WiFi networks, will need to improve before video chat works well on a mobile device.

Here in Japan, cell phone video chat was the rage about 4-5 years ago when cell phones first came out with front facing cameras. Everyone seemed to be video chatting when they first got their cell phones. Then the novelty died off after a few months. Video chat cost was expensive. I believe calls were about $1 per minute. I am sure that had an effect on the popularity as well.