Front G5 Audio Jack - Sound only coming from Left

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gavinstubbs09, Nov 20, 2014.

1. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

This is bugging me, no matter what set of headphones I use the audio only comes out of the left side.

I checked the sound under system preferences, it was balanced to the center, moving to the right did nothing. Next I opened Audio MIDI Setup and everything I changed in there did nothing. Third thing I did was remove the front I/O board from my 2.7 that I know works and put it into the 2.3, and even after doing this the audio still played to the left. I also swapped the black cable that connects the I/O board to the Logic Board.

Any ideas?

----------

And I've also noticed the "Bong" when I start up only comes from the left side as well, so certainly not an OS issue. Booted up into Tiger and same issue.

2. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Speaker plug not plugged in all the way, and/or audio jack is bad. Maybe some dirt preventing plug from going in all the way.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

OP tried swapping the front board which would eliminate that possibility but it is a good thought.

4. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

6. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Do you also get only left audio from the rear audio-out port?
    That should decide that the logic board is bad.

7. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

The rear works fine with L/R audio, but the front panel is only the left.

8. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Most likely not the logic board and instead a connection between the front I/O assembly and the system. Inspect the lines.

9. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

OP said he already tried swapping the connector cable for that front panel board.

Pins 17 & 18 are right & left, respectively, on that connector cable.

So - if you can't get the right channel to work on the front connection, and the front panel board, and its connection cable don't fix - then it's a line on the logic board. I think that's a printed circuit line, but you COULD pull the logic board to examine the back of the front panel connector, and the rest of the printed circuit for that.
    I'm thinking that you'll now need some luck to fix that issue - so you might consider forgetting the front audio out, and just use the rear port - if that works.