Front Glass Replacement at Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lucas3735, Mar 22, 2011.

1. lucas3735 macrumors newbie

Hey guys- I did some searching around the forum and can't seem to get a definitive answer on this. I dropped my iPhone 4 recently and now there's a nice big scratch on the screen. Nothing too noticeable, and you can't see it at all when it's on. However, it's still annoying and I would like to get it fixed. I've heard that if you bring your phone to an Apple store they'll replace the front glass for $29. Can anyone confirm this? On the other hand, I've also heard that it costs hundreds of dollars. I was in the Providence Apple store a few weeks ago before I dropped my phone and a guy came in with a 3G. His screen was completely shattered and the Apple tech replaced it for free, no questions asked. I watched the entire exchange go down, the tech didn't ask if the guy had Applecare or anything. He just took the phone, said "we don't usually do this but I'll get you this time", and said he'd be back in 20 minutes. I guess I'm just looking for a definitive answer here if anyone can help me out. Thanks.

2. kicko macrumors 65816

to my knowledge only the back can be replaced, the front is all one piece and would require a replacement phone.

3. patp Guest

The front can be replaced and it is closer to $200. The back can be replaced for $29. The back is just a cover, whereas the front is an touch screen. A lot more going on in the front.

4. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

It looks like reputable sellers on eBay are selling the entire iPhone 4 screen assembly with digitizer for about $70 shipped. One company in particular has sold hundreds of them according to eBay and still have 99.5% positive feedback so I personally would feel comfortable buying from someone like that. Here's a link to the company I'm talking about.

I haven't needed this myself so I can't speak from experience though. My sister recently cracked the front screen on her phone. Even though its working the screen really needs to be replaced so I'm hoping you try it. If it works, I'll do the same. :)

5. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

I'm in the same boat. Mine shattered near the home button after my son knocked over a coffee cup onto the phone. Still works but there are pieces of glass missing so there is a possibility of getting cut up.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

The dont replace the glass the give you a new phone. In the uk it's £169 and it's called an out of warranty replacement. If you search apple support you'll find it and cost details.

7. lucas3735 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses, guys. I figured they either replaced the entire phone at a large fee. I guess I was just confused because the guy who came in with the shattered 3G definitely did not receive a new unit and did not have to pay anything. The tech specifically said "It's only a couple screws but it takes about 20 minutes." Maybe it was a different procedure for the 3Gs?

8. Merkie macrumors 68020

3G/3GS glass can be removed without removing the screen. With the iPhone 4, the glass, digitizer and screen are all glued together and the whole screen with glass is just one piece.

9. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Could you elaborate? My 3g has a broken glass that I am looking to replace myself...Thanks

10. JohnBossu macrumors member

If there's an apple store nearby you can just go there and ask hows the procedure to repair your phone, if they change it for free then you are lucky, otherwise you can say that you'll consider it first (if the price to repair too expensive, for example). That's what I always do :p, sometimes Im lucky enough though.

11. Merkie macrumors 68020

I don't know the whole procedure, but I do know that it's not that expensive to fix the glass.