front perfectly flush with the chrome?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lakaiordie, Jul 17, 2008.

1. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

Anyone here have a screen/front part that sits perfectly flush where it meets the chrome. ive noticed that on the top left it sits up like a fingernail thickness higher, and on the bottom right it sits like that much lower. its probably less than the thickness of your fingernail. but if you look you can tell

should i try to exchange? i got it at an at&t store

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

a lot of members seem to have this problem. i got mine exchanged today, and the new one is better.

3. lakaiordie thread starter macrumors 65816

it doesnt really bother me. but i was wonder if that'll cause problems if i put on an invisible sheild on the front/ and or back.

does the front peice of those screen protectors actually touch the chrome, or are they perfectly sized so that it does not touch the chrome

thanks.

4. lakaiordie thread starter macrumors 65816

could i exchange it at the apple store instead of the att store?

5. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

On mine the glass front is flush with the chrome bezel, as is the plastic back.

6. lakaiordie thread starter macrumors 65816

the differences on mine are so minute and small that i dont know if i should bother going through the hassle of exchanging. you can only tell if you examine the phone very well.

7. View macrumors regular

I have an original iPhone with the invisible shield on, and the screen protector doesn't touch the chrome. I suspect this will be the case for the iPhone 3G as well.

8. bmms8 macrumors 68020

You can only exchange at Apple. I went to the apple store to return a case i bought and i asked since i was there. There is no point in going to ATT because they do not deal with exchanges.

all you need is your phone and your receipt. make sure you back up your phone before!

9. peekb macrumors newbie

I got my 16GB Black today and the right side is not flush with the chrome. I generally hold the phone in my right hand and use my thumb to scroll around, and it drags on the metal edge whenever I slide to the right.

I have an appointment to return mine tomorrow to the Apple store and get a new unit. I hope.

10. lakaiordie thread starter macrumors 65816

post here or pm me and let me know how it goes!

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

dude its no big deal. seriously

have you ever manufactured something? if so you realize that nothing is "perfect" and there are tolerances

as long as the device works and is accpetable to me look wise, its fine. fingernail thickness higher? comeon lol

i bet if you look at anything you have, nothing is perfect

12. lakaiordie thread starter macrumors 65816

i guess, i was just wondering if anyone else noticed this.

13. peekb macrumors newbie

I don't think either of us are looking for perfection, but it impedes my use of the phone. Instead of a smooth glide motion to the right, I get to hear and feel my thumbnail or underside of my thumb scrape across the metal lip. After coming from a silky smooth gen 1 iPhone, this is a definite step down.

14. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

I too have this problem, my 1st gen iPhone was perfect, and the display models dont have that problem either so why should mine?

15. peekb macrumors newbie

I exchanged the phone today. The took a new phone out of a new retail box (not a replacement white/brown box) and gave it to me to hold and test. This one is far better than the previous one. After I said it was ok, they activated the phone, deleted my info off the old one, and that was that.

Hopefully your experience will be as good as mine. Good luck...

16. bmms8 macrumors 68020

thats really good news! weird how they did not use a replacement though. what are they going to do with all the accessories! haha

17. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

I can only imagine how you got them to replace your phone because the bezel was higher than the black area.

I took mine into an Apple Store today for some chips in the bezel and a small pimple on the back plastic and they told me it was within spec and sent me on my way, no exchange.