Front Row 3.0 - AppleTV Take 2-Esque????

Discussion in 'macOS' started by allbrokeup, Mar 22, 2008.

1. allbrokeup macrumors 6502

Suggestions please :D.

I really hope that Apple release this update soon and don't make us wait until 10.6 Cougar.

I think It will evolve into a full blown Media Center App. Beating the !@#% out of Microsoft's dorky and stupid attempt - Media Center Edition XP and the Media Center App on Vista.

Personally, I cannot wait. I already use Front Row as a sort of Kiosk when people come over to visit.

allbrokeup.

2. acxz macrumors regular

As unlikely as it is, I want it to be themeable, or at least simpler to make it look like the Front Row in Tiger.

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I think that's a little harsh.

Media Center does a lot more than Front Row or Apple TV and it's been doing it for ages.

I'd like to see Apple catch up.

I found it a little odd that they'd update Front Row to match Apple TV and then go and change it again already - it's quite annoying.

4. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Have you ever even used vista's media center? It's much more polished and feature rich than apple tv's front row. Apple doesn't hold a candle to microsoft in this department. Microsoft's media center not only plays your media content from you pc, but with a tv tuner installed, you get full dvr capabilities as well.

5. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

All I want is youtube support. Is it true that appletv and iphone/ipod get youtube videos that are higher quality than the FLV crap on the website? Why hasnt someone made a thirdparty app that can grab these higher quality videos?

6. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

Append &fmt=18 to a YouTube URL and you will get better quality (and with stereo sound) if available.

Example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDv8u_Go7oo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDv8u_Go7oo&fmt=18

7. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Front Row already kills WME. I can't believe Windows users have to go out and buy an entire OS to get what we have for free.

8. Erwin-Br macrumors 6502a

Erwin-Br

You obviously never used WME. Front Row doesn't even come close. And Apple TV should remove the "TV" part from its name, for a very obvious reason.

--Erwin

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

While I agree that Front Row definitely needs help due to lack of...well everything, it's only fair to understand that Microsoft had Media Center 3 years before Front Row's inception so you can't expect it to be anywhere as great as Vista's Media Center.

10. kolax macrumors G3

What obvious reason? It connects to my TV, and allows me to play movies, TV Shows and music on my big screen.

Just because you can't record, doesn't mean it isn't associated with "TV" at all.

The Apple TV is designed as a company for iTunes in order to get all your content onto your big screen. Many people will already have recorders to take care of that. While I understand it would be nice for it to include a DVR, I already have my Mac to take care of that. Export with EyeTV, straight into iTunes and your ready.

11. Erwin-Br macrumors 6502a

Erwin-Br

My Mac Pro connects to my TV too. And so does my mini. I can use both to bring all my content onto my big screen. So what would this one thing be you'd think would differentiate the "Apple TV" from other Apple products? Uh, how about being able to watch (and record) TV? :rolleyes:

--Erwin