Front row, and an external harddrive.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by samrulestothema, Aug 22, 2008.

1. samrulestothema macrumors regular

hello everyone,

So i have an issue.

I have tons of movies on an external harddrive, and to watch them through front row i have been putting them into the movies folder.is there a way i dont have to copy them there? and they just appear there?

Is there a way to get frontrow to recognise my movies on my external harddrive?

THANKS!

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I imagine that simply making an alias of the movie on the external drive (selecting the movie and using File--> Create Alias or pressing command+L) and dragging that to desired location (the Movies folder in this case) would work fine as that is one of the main types of use for an alias.

It is certainly worth trying on one movie to start- and I feel certain it will work fine.

3. kwissylawrencek macrumors member

Yes, you are 100% correct sickmacdoc. This is what i have done and it works a treat :). Just make an alias of the folder on the external hard drive and place it into movies, and the alias then appears in front row as any other folder does.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Glad to hear that as my Macbook is on loan to a friend at the moment so could not try it! Thanks for the confirmation! :D