Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
I've had the Keyspan RF remote for a while now, and I'm getting progressively more and more frustrated with it. When it works, it works like a champ, but it's very intermittent. Whether I'm operating it from the next room, or 1 foot away, it is constantly dropping the connection. I don't know if it's an interference issue, or if I just got a bum remote, but I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue.

My iMac 2.8 is set up in the room directly adjacent to the living room from which I am operating the remote. The wall is a thin, plaster, Apartment wall. I've tried re-pairing it and replacing the battery, all for naught.

Any thoughts? It'd be greatly appreciated.

If you don't have any suggestions, can anyone recommend a better remote?

Cheers

Reb

bsheridan

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
Just check that its not the receiver thats messed up. Have you got an apple remote to do that with?

bsheridan

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
Sorry, I thought that it integrated with the RF receiver on the iMac.
It may be a loose connection. I'm guessing it will be within the remote as the remote is moved around more than the receiver. Can you open it up to get to the circuit board inside and have a look? You should check what the refund policy is on the product first though, you could have some luck.
b.

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
Sorry, I thought that it integrated with the RF receiver on the iMac.
It may be a loose connection. I'm guessing it will be within the remote as the remote is moved around more than the receiver. Can you open it up to get to the circuit board inside and have a look? You should check what the refund policy is on the product first though, you could have some luck.
b.

There's an RF receiver in the iMac?!?

I doubt it's a loose connection, as it works perfectly and then just stops. It doesn't feel like a hardware issue....you could be right, but I'm wondering if there are any other tests I could do before cracking the sucker open.

I've likely had it for far too long to consider a return/exchange.

bsheridan

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
Well IR receiver for the apple remote.
Have you recently moved you set up and seen the change? If your tv/ stereo is in the 'line of sight' of were you direct the remote through to the other room, there is the possibility of interference.

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
Well IR receiver for the apple remote.
Have you recently moved you set up and seen the change? If your tv/ stereo is in the 'line of sight' of were you direct the remote through to the other room, there is the possibility of interference.

I'd get that except the issue persists whether I'm in the next room or sitting at my desk in front of the iMac. 8S

I'm thinking I might just bite it and get a bluetooth Front Row remote, if such a thing exists.

bsheridan

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
do you use the remote for anything other than front row? the apple remote works great with front row and you can use it for slideshows in keynote too.

If you didnt get one with your imac you might still be able to blag one off of them. On the apple site it still says imac comes with apple remote i believe.

Only thing is I don't think it is powerful enough to use through walls. It has a good range though.

bsheridan

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
Just a little info on a program that looks good for absolute control of your mac using just the remote. You may be interested, I would definitely consider buying it!

RemoteBuddy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.