Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Hi all,

I have a macbook and tiger installed on it. today when I open frontrow and clicked on the music icon in Frontrow. It said " There are no songs or music videos on your itunes library". And I can tell you I do have music and videos in my itunes library. The same thing for photos as well. It gives the same message.

why is this happening. Is there anything that can be done to correct this.

Thanks

NateDMB

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
The same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. Make sure you have the latest versions of BOTH Front Row and iTunes. After I updated both it worked again. Hope this helps.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I have itunes 7.6 installed on 1/23/08 and Frontrow 1.3.1 updated on 9/10/07.

Still I cannot use front row. I have also updated iphoto 6.0.6 on 3/17/07.

I don't know what's wrong here

NateDMB

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
I'm pretty sure front row and iphoto have never versions. Check out Apple's site for any updated versions. I just got the new front row like 3 weeks ago.

NateDMB

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
I just made sure I had the latest version of all the apps. iTunes and Front Row.

linkhart

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
villanova, pa
Fix from AppleCare-Delete the plist

I called apple care and we moved Frontrow plist to the desktop (as an archive) and restarted Frontrow. It worked.

Hope this helps.

The plist can be found in you user library under preferences.
cf. macHD>users>Link>library>preferences>com.apple.frontrow.plist

sorry if file notation is not correct.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Is the iTunes library on the same computer or a networked share? My MBP won't show shared libraries, only the local one, which given the size of the internal hard drive is not a good choice (I need a 1TB+ drive for my library).

Front Row really needs some of the Apple TV software feature updates. Looking at the iTunes library movie list, it doesn't organize movies in folders by "Show" like Apple TV does (e.g. I put all the James Bond movies in a James Bond Movie folder on my Apple TV, but it just shows them all separately in Front Row on my PowerMac server running Front Row. And there's no network settings for Front Row so my MBP only shows movies stored locally on its own hard drive, not ones from the shared network iTunes library whereas AppleTV can stream from the primary library *AND* any secondary "Shared" libraries from other computers. Basically, Front Row is completely out of date relative to Apple TV. Frankly, you should be able to rent HD movies as well (yeah I know there's no HDCP on older Mac models, but frankly that's a load of crap anyway because AppleTV will happily show movies from the Component outputs and they are NOT HDCP capable...i.e. they're analog; the most it could do is block them entirely and it doesn't).

Really, Front Row and ATV should be the same software except for the device they run on, IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.