Front Row gone missing......

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mustafa, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Mustafa macrumors regular

..... on my Intel MacMini. Won't turn on with the remote or the Esc+Cmd shortcut.

The remote works (I've tried it on my wife's MacBook), I've restarted and repaired permissions. Any other ideas, anyone? Or do I just have to wait for Leopard for a clean start?

Mustafa

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

did you check your keyboard preferences. I think the short cut is set up there. Can't help with the remote.

Brian

3. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Type FrontRow into Spotlight and open the installer for FrontRow.

Reinstalling FrontRow should fix the problem, but can't explain why it disappered.

4. Mustafa thread starter macrumors regular

When I try and do this it gives me an alert that "This software is not compatible with your computer"!

5. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Hmm, I was just searching for any FrontRow applications and that came up - was worth a shot. And it doesn't work for me when I try to install it!

But asked me to upgrade - did yours ask you to upgrade or full installation?

6. Mustafa thread starter macrumors regular

It didn't ask me for either. I have installers up to v.1.3, but they wouldn't instal as they couldn't find FrontRow installed anywhere.

It seems my computer is no longer recognised as Front Row qualified. My guess is that a recent software update (QT?) has caused this. So now I'm hanging on a correcting update or a clean instal of Leopard.

It's not a job-stopper, as I can easily play my video podcasts in iTunes, and I don't use Front Row for anything else. But it's annoying.

7. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

i had this problem too, just reinstall front row from the installation disc just put the disc in and then choose bundled software then customize and then uncheck everything except front row, install, restart computer, then go to a library/coreservices/front row.app and delete it then run software update and maybe there will be a new version.

8. Mustafa thread starter macrumors regular

Whoa!! I tried this but got the warning "Mac OS X 10.4 cannot be installed on this machine. Please consult the documentation for the list of supported Macintosh computers."

I'm getting increasingly worried now. Will Leopard even load? Why is my machine suddenly no longer recognised as a Mac?

9. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

What for computer do you have? does it support mac OSX 10.4?

10. Mustafa thread starter macrumors regular

See my original post. I have all latest versions of Tiger, iLife, QT, etc.

11. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

Then i really don't know what you should do, maybe you post the same question at apple.com/support and then discussion forum... they give fast answers.

12. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Are you sure you are using the install discs that came with your Mac Mini? If they belong to another Mac, they won't work.

13. Kmshuff macrumors newbie

Solution for Reinstalling Missing or Corrupted Apple Programs

I know this post is really old, but there is a solution. Download and use the program Pacifist. So you might be wondering what it is...to quote the developers website (www.charlesSoft.com):

Pacifist 2.6.4 is a shareware application that opens Mac OS X .pkg package files, .dmg disk images, and .zip, .tar, .tar.gz, .tar.bz2, and .xar file archives and allows you to extract individual files and folders out of them. This is useful, for instance, if an application which is installed by the operating system becomes damaged and needs to be reinstalled without the hassle of reinstalling all of Mac OS X. Pacifist is also able to verify existing installations and find missing or altered files*, and Pacifist can also examine the kernel extensions installed in your system to let you see what installer installed them, and whether the installer was made by Apple or a third-party.

Pacifist is compatible with Mac OS X 10.3 or higher, including Mac OS X 10.6 “Snow Leopard”. It is also compiled as a Universal Binary for maximum performance on both PowerPC and Intel-based Macs."

Remember to use your most current install disk. For example, if your computer came with 10.4, but you have upgraded to 10.6 (Snow Leopard) use a 10.6 install disk with the program. Using an older disk to install a program could actually cause problems and is not recommended. Simply use the search to find the application you are looking for and right click to install! It only takes a few minutes. Using Pacifist means: never completely reinstalling the os again(what a headache) or trying to borrow a friends mac to copy uncorrupted application and/or preference files to recover a program.

The program is free to try and use, but there is a message that pops up in any unregistered version. To register and get rid of the message you can by the program (paid shareware $20). It will support the developer and is well worth the $20 for the time and headaches it will save you.

I have used this many times to fix applications such as ichat or mail when corrupted by plugins, or when programs simply go missing in the case of DVD Player and Front Row. Hope this helps other people.
    :apple:

Note: I am in no way associated with Pacifist or the developer. I am however a very satisfied customer.