Front Row + HandBrake?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EnzoAmata, Dec 27, 2010.

1. EnzoAmata macrumors regular

EnzoAmata

I have a bunch of videos all in different formats, I've just got an Apple Remote and I'd like to view all that content in Front Row.

What's the best format to re-encode the movies in? Also is Handbrake the best program to do this with?

2. munkery, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010

munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

I would install the following:

Perian - codec pack for DivX, Xvid, MKV, and more
    Flip4Mac - codec for WMA/WMV
    XiphQT - codec for Ogg Theora/Vorbis

Front Row uses the same codecs as QuickTime (via QuickTime plugin?) so once these codecs are installed it should play almost all video formats without having to transcode the videos with Handbrake.

Handbrake is a highly capable transcoder when needed. I would guess the Apple TV preset with the quality increased would work given that the UI for older Apple TVs was similar to Front Row?

3. EnzoAmata thread starter macrumors regular

EnzoAmata

I've been using VLC for everything and I don't like the way it's running on Mac. I'll give these a try and see how I get on.

Only problem! When I install all these new codecs, I need to "Get Info" and then click Preview and only then will the thumbnail in the folder will appear, is there a way to get them to all update?

4. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

From the :apple: menu at top right, click "Force Quit" and from the interface that appears select relaunch finder. That may fix the problem?

Do the icons show the VLC cone? You may have VLC as your default media player so you will have to switch it back to QuickTime.

5. EnzoAmata thread starter macrumors regular

EnzoAmata

I've switched back and told it to change all other of the same format to Quicktime but I still need to go through them one by one, so far...

:(

6. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Delete VLC using TrashMe (Snow Leopard) or AppCleaner (Leopard) to remove all of VLCs associated files.

Then restart your system. See if that fixes the issue.

Reinstall afterward if still need VLC for some reason.

7. EnzoAmata thread starter macrumors regular

EnzoAmata

Opened Finder and used "SEARCH FOR: All Movies" - It's updating every thumbnail now on it's own.