Front Row Mods? (Hacks?!)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by peanutismint, Nov 19, 2007.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

In the 9 months since I switched to Mac, I've rarely used the Front Row application. Simple things, like it not being able to play all video formats (I've installed the Xvid codecs but some still refuse to run...) and other things like not being able to set it to see my tv shows in 'TV Shows' and my movies in 'Movies'.

I tend to use VLC, which looks just as nice in full screen, and even lets me use my Apple Remote. However, one thing that has always bugged me is that using VLC seems to take away my ability to sleep my Mac by holding the 'Play' button on the remote, and now that I've upgraded to Leopard, the remote seems to have stopped working in VLC altogether.

For this and many other reasons, I'm just wondering if there are any great, all-encompassing Front Row tweaks out there which can add immeasurable functionality to the program?

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Not much I'm currently aware of - but I've heard of a lot down the pipeline.

This Red Pill is your friend, and the way to this information: http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

remove that xvid codec as it probably outdated and install perian and flip4mac. this will allow you to play pretty much everything (well 90%) of media in quicktime and therefore front row too.

4. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Hahah, red pill. Okay I'll have a search around. And am swapping out those drivers for Perian now. Thanks guys!