Front Row Newbie

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mikebatho, Aug 20, 2009.

1. mikebatho macrumors 6502a

Hi. I'm just trying to get to grips with front row.

I seems to have music cracked, but I'd like to sort videos next. At present, when I click MOVIES the only thing listed is theatrical trailers.

Where do I need to store my videos so they show up in there? They're mainly avi files, will they play ok? Is there anything special I need, or need to know?

Thanks.

2. zombitronic macrumors 65816

zombitronic

If it's under Movies or TV Shows in your iTunes library, it should show up under Movies or TV Shows in Front Row.

If you're dealing with .avi files, you may need to convert them to a .mov container. I don't think you can just drop an .avi file into iTunes.

Do this by opening the movie.avi file with QuickTime, then Save as and select self-contained movie. This will be the larger file size. The smaller option only creates a link to the original file.

You'll now have an additional file named movie.mov. You should now be able to drop this file into iTunes. If you can play it in iTunes it should play in Front Row.

3. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

But I don't have Quicktime Pro, so there's no SAVE AS option (greyed out)

Is there a piece of 3rd party software I can download fee, or on a trial basis?

Then what? I just drag it onto the MOVIES tab in iTunes?

4. zombitronic macrumors 65816

zombitronic

If you have an Intel Mac and can wait a few weeks, it might be worth doing. Snow Leopard will be $29 and a QuickTime Pro license is also $29. No sense buying it now if it will come bundled with the OS for the same price in a few weeks. Otherwise, you'll have to register to get these features (serial number input is in the QuickTime section of System Preferences.)

I'm not sure of any trialware that will do this as easily and effectively as QuickTime, itself.

Also, yes, after you have the .mov file just drop it onto the iTunes window. It will appear in your Movie library. You'll then be able to watch the movie through Front Row.

5. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I remember iTunes used to convert videos to .mov (or whatever format is required) but the sound would never work. I now don't even see the option at all in iTunes (I could be overlooking it, I don't manage my videos with iTunes).

6. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

When I drop the movie onto the MOVIES tab in iTunes, does it then make a copy of the movie in a separate directory, like when you add music and it automatically copies it to the iTunes music library?

Or will I have to set up a folder & leave all my movies in there that I drag to iTunes?

7. devburke Guest

It's easier than that. Just put in in your Movies folder (~/Movies) and then when you go to Movies, select "Movies Folder".

8. zombitronic macrumors 65816

zombitronic

Yes, when you add a movie or TV show for the first time, a new folder will be created in your iTunes Music folder titled "Movies" or "TV Shows," (that is, if you have iTunes set to copy your imported media to the iTunes folder). You can double-check that folder to make sure the file copied.

Alternatively, you can try just dropping the files into your Movies folder within your User folder. I've never tried this, as I like to enter poster images and metadata in iTunes.

9. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ahaa! Found it. I was looking in the first folder in itunes, where the album artwork folder is kept. I see now that when you go into the itunes music folder, among the band names, there is indeed a movies folder.

Thanks for your help.