Front Row on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by adddictedtomac, Apr 2, 2012.

1. adddictedtomac macrumors regular

Lots of people use Mac minis as entertainment centers and like to use them to watch movies.

I bet that Apple in order to promote Apple TVs they intentionally took out Front Row from Mac OS X 10.7.

The good news is that there is a way to re-install it, and here is how:

http://youtu.be/p-nj8Sshfaw

:D

2. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

This hack is old. I seem to recall an iTunes update that broke this method but I can't remember for sure.

Has anyone tried this recently?

3. adddictedtomac thread starter macrumors regular

I recently tried it, it still works.

4. adddictedtomac thread starter macrumors regular

my pleasure.

5. BrianMayFan123 macrumors newbie

I have tried the above fix for Front Row and I can confirm as does work as it did on Snow Leopard/Leopard.
    While Its not to my taste (I prefer XBMC) It will work

6. adddictedtomac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

7. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

Why bother?

Plex is WAYYYYYYY better than front row!:cool:

8. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Agree but PLEX cannot play iTunes purchased video so it's less than ideal for anyone with a significant amount of movies/TV shows bought through iTunes.

9. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I read an old article where an iTunes update did break it. I should have worded it differently. I wonder if a new iTunes update will break it after the hack is installed.

10. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

About the last iTunes update. Did it re-break anything?

11. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

And unless they have fixed it recently, Plex doesn't do bit perfect audio properly, so is useless for audiophiles.

12. motorazr macrumors 6502

motorazr

The Frozen Waste...wait. Duluth, Minnesota.
    Dang.

Well, I'm trying to do my research, but I just installed the front row installer package for lion, and sadly, it seems that what had been said in the past is, in fact, true. It DOES NOT work with the latest version of iTunes (10.6.1 (7)) ... I had my hopes up :(.

I'm still looking if there's a better work-around than down-grading iTunes... I only updated it so I could use Match, really .. which I love for the most part.

EDIT: On a side note, I'm also looking at alternative software out there.. but from what I've read, PLEX isn't ideal (quoted above) for those of us with very picky ears, and everything else I've seen that's sorta kinda like front row looks kinda bad. O really hope Apple replaces it in Moutain Lion.. with .. something. Anything. But my 27" iMac gets annoying across the room when I can't just easily scroll through tracks on the couch.

(and honestly, since front-row's introduction, since my iMac, it's first time I've actually wanted to use it over and over and been sad it's gone...)