Front Row on PPC?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iwhillenbrand, Mar 24, 2010.

1. iwhillenbrand macrumors newbie

I have a PowerBook G4 that I am making into a tablet. Now, I'll mostly be using this for class notes, homework, online textbooks, etc. However, I'll also do a fair bit of using it as a "media centre." It still has tiger, and I'd like to run front row. It's awesome on my uMBP, but the s-video out is much more convenient than the mini-display port on mbp. Will Leopard support front row on ppc, or is there another way?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I think Leopard does Front Row on any Mac, even without an IR port. Tiger only does it with an IR port. The Tiger version can be altered to work without the IR port. I'm not sure if the files to enable this are still around. I had trouble locating them a few years ago.

3. iwhillenbrand thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, thanks. I'll try it out on the PowerBook when I upgrade to Leopard.
    Update-just tried it, and it works on powermac g5 dual core. Are there any attachments for an IR receiver for PowerBook?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Only USB IR ones. You could use the Apple one from a Macbook /Pro. It USB, but you'll have to solder on to the connections and add a real USB port onto it. Or you could get a Windows Media Centre USB remote thing those work as well I think.