Front Row on second screen

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kamiboy, Jun 24, 2007.

1. kamiboy macrumors 6502

Ok, so I already have my mac connected to my HDTV via DVI->HDMI cable so I should be able to use it as a kind if :apple:TV, right?

The problem is that when I push the menu button on my remote to start Front Row it just starts in my mac's screen and shows a blank screen on my second monitor (the HDTV).

The only way I can change that is if I walk over to my mac and push the clone screen button so both screens show the same thing. But that really defeats the purpose of having a remote. I can't have it on clone screen all the time because then I will get black borders on top and buttom of my mac's screen.

So, can I configure Front Row or in any way force it to display on my second monitor instead of my mac?

Thanks

2. kamiboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Am I to take it that it is simply impossible? That would kind of suck.

3. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I'm not sure you can make Front Row appear on your secondary monitor, but you could always try a Front Row alternative as I believe some/all have the option of what screen to appear on. This article gives some info on some of the alternatives available.

Post back and let us know how you get on :)

4. lamadude macrumors 6502

If you switch the menu bar to the second screen in your system preferences, so that the 2nd screen becomes your primary screen, then front row will display on that one. I just tested it.

5. danny_w macrumors 601

No, that doesn't work. Maybe there was a change in Leopard.

6. ThomasShaped macrumors regular

Yes it does. That's exactly what I do with my tv.

7. danny_w macrumors 601

Maybe the iMac G5 with video adapter is different, because I can't make it work no matter what I do. I have tried moving the menu bar to the tv, switching the display positions, and switching + moving the menu bar; nothing works. What is your setup?

8. danny_w macrumors 601

I found the answer after much searching. A change in Leopard is that Front Row doesn't "see" the cahgne in the setting of the main screen until you exit the system preferences. As long as you stay on the screen settings page of system preferences, no matter how many times you change the main screen front Row won't recognize it until after you leave the preferences. Problem solved. Now if I only had a remote.

9. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

There is a way of doing it by running an applescript, but you would probably have to be using something like remote buddy to run the script from your remote, it would open up front row on a secondary display without the need to drag the menu bar or mirror on an older system, The script can be found over on osxhints.com i think. btw, if you are using your mac as a media center remote buddy is great to have anyway.