Front Row Playlists - Help Needed

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jim Campbell, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

I've done a search and I couldn't see anything immediately relating to this subject, so I apologize if this has already been covered elsewhere ...

Having purchased a shiny new 500Gb external HDD, I'm busily engaged ripping our DVD collection to the drive for playback.

I'm dutifully organizing all the movies in folders by genre - Action/Adventure; SF/Fantasy; Thriller; and so on.

The thing is, when I go to the "Video" section of front row and then select "Movies" I just get an alphabetical list of all the movies. That's slightly annoying now, when there are only about 50 of them, but it's going to be thoroughly inconvenient when I get through the whole collection and there are 200+ titles to list.

I've tried creating smart playlists in iTuned to filter the movies by genre, but these lists don't appear under the Video or Movie menus in Front Row. They do appear under the 'Music' menu, but only the soundtrack plays back!

Now, I appreciate that I can use iTunes for playing back movies, but I'd like to be able to do it using Front Row!

Any thoughts, or am I missing something blindly obvious?

Cheers!

Jim

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Check out these instructions, basically what you are doing, but if you don't make an 'Alias' to your external HDD and put that in your Movies folder, but instead point iTunes to each movie, it will do exactly what you are saying.

Use Any Drive with Front Row

Use any Drive or Location with Front Row - Part II

Hope these help,

Brian

3. Jim Campbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

Fantastic!

I'll have a bash at that this weekend.

Many thanks.

Jim

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Glad to help.

5. Jim Campbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

That all works fantastically well. Again, many thanks.

Cheers!

Jim