Front Row Plugin to Launch EyeTV

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by millap, Jan 23, 2008.

1. millap macrumors regular

Hi to all

I have just finished a simple plugin for Front Row 2, that launches EyeTV from the main menu. That's it, nothing more, nothing less.

This is based on code from the frontpython project and of course, the sapphire group, and looks to be the start of something sweet.

Posted here for anyone who's interested

http://web.mac.com/paul_and_sally/FrontTV/Download.html

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

wow, brilliant, i have downloaded but just wanted to ask...

1) any known issues / side effects?
    2) does it survive system/frontrow/itunes/eyetv updates?

also, thanks, i think a lot of people have been waiting for this.

3. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Absolutely, bring it on!!! :D
    SL

4. millap thread starter macrumors regular

No reported issues so far. One thing to note is that once you launch EyeTV, any attempt to switch to a different app (even the finder) will switch you back to EyeTV, but that is intentional so that the Apple Remote will still work with EyeTV. You must quit EyeTV and then exit Front Row to return to normal.

As for the updates, all I can tell you is that I've tested it with both EyeTV 2.33 and the new version 3 and it works in both cases.

5. millap thread starter macrumors regular

6. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

Hi, well i installed and tested and works as advertised, i see what you mean about quiting out though, not to much hassle. Thanks very much for posting this, i used to use remote buddy but really only for this purpose lol.

7. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

Hey, just slept my mac whilst watching eyetv (over night) and when i awoke it in the morning i experienced a major video problem, this was fixed after a restart, i dont know if it was eyetv 3 or frontv as i installed them both last night, have you heard of this?

8. millap thread starter macrumors regular

Haven't tried putting the computer to sleep yet, as in my setup the Mac Mini is left on all the time. I will give it a go when I get home tonight and let you know what happens.

9. millap thread starter macrumors regular

Tried it, and my mini woke up Ok with no display problems. Try removing FrontTV as per the instructions on my homepage and see if you can reproduce the problem. In the past I have known EyeTV 2 to crash occasionally, requiring a restart, but that was pre FrontTV anyway. Never could determine the cause.

10. lixa macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I've tried to install it on my Leopard 10.5.1 but Front Row refuses to show the EyeTV option - any ideas? I've tried to remove it and install it and restart so many times!

Would me having PyeTV on there before hand made a difference? That's deleted now.

Thanks, Alex

11. millap thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I think it does. For some reason that I haven't determined yet, you can only install one .frappliance based on this code, so you will have to decide which one is more usefull to you. The PyeTV app was released shortly after mine, but looks to be a better, more integrated, app with sub menus etc... so I think that this is probably the one to keep an eye on in the future.

I personally only wanted something that would launch EyeTV, since you can do most of the other stuff from the EyeTV full screen menu anyway, so it's down to personal choice.

b.t.w. I have discovered that the current release of FrontTV doesn't work on PPC machines (doesn't show up in the menu). I will see if there's a way to compile it for both PPC and Intel. Sorry about that.

12. lixa macrumors newbie

Ah I see!

Plus I'm using and testing this on a PowerMac G5 so that's probably why!

I'd agree with you in relation to using eyetv to perform a lot of the tasks - the other plugin doesn't look at smooth transition which I'm imagining your plugin promises better.

Thanks for the quick reply, Alex

13. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

not had the bad video problem again yet, so i think all is well.

14. JudasX macrumors newbie

is there anything like this for those of us still running tiger?

...or is this just another goodie waiting in the realm of 10.5?

15. millap thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately, FR1 did not include a PlugIn architecture, so there is no way to actually add built in functionality. Other than changing the skin, the only workaround that I know of to add extra functionality is the DVDassist program which is used to play VIDEO_TS files from ripped DVDs...

http://mysite.verizon.net/resohjb1/Projects.html

This app runs in the background and waits for you to play a special movie file from the FR interface. When the file is detected, the script will launch the Apple DVD player and instruct it to open the appropriate VIDEO_TS folder.

It may be possible for the Author of this software to modify the behaviour so that it launches the EyeTV application instead of DVD player... i.e. you have a special movie file called EyeTV which the program looks for.

Try contacting him through the forums in the above link to find out if this is feasible.

16. Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

This only opens my EyeTv Program window and not a live t.v. window.

I normally have EyeTv running in the background (I enabled "Start EyeTv when a device is plugged in" to allow EyeTV to wake up my computer to record a program).

I have an applescript to force EyeTv to open a full window. Is there a way to modify your plugin to force EyeTv to open a full window?

17. oortmanp macrumors newbie

iChat plugin ?

@millap
    Very nice software you made! It is now the most useful tool in Front Row on my mac mini.

I just have a question. Is it possible to make a similar plugin for iChat in Front Row and do you think you could and have time create this? (as I am no programmer at all)

Thanks in advance
    oortmanp

18. millap thread starter macrumors regular

Once EyeTV is launched, press and hold the MENU button on your Apple remote for about 2 seconds and you will enter 'Full Screen Mode'. You only need to do this once, and then you should be able to switch back and forth seamlessly.

oortmanp, Yes it's possible for me to produce an iChat launcher, however you won't be able to use FrontTV as well, so you will have to choose which plugin to install. Also, in order to get the best Front Row experience with iChat, you would probably need to use a program like 'Sofa Control' so that you could map all of the Apple remote keys to the necessary keyboard short cuts. The latest Sapphire plugin may include iChat control, but I haven't looked recently.

If you still want an iChat launcher let me know, and I'll produce it sometime over the weekend.

19. oortmanp macrumors newbie

I'm using Remote Buddy, I assume it is similar to Sofa Control. So that wouldn't be a problem. Also with Remote Buddy I start Front Row from EyeTV, and when quitting Front Row, it returns me to EyeTV. This was my solution, until I saw your software.

A pitty that you can't use both plugins together. But I'd still like iChat, so I can chat from my sofa. Returning back to EyeTV will be back to the old way then :-(
    So I"ll be looking forward to the weekend :)

By the way, I also read another chat of you where you created 10000 folders. A very nice idea. I'm using it now as well :)

Regards,
    oortmanp

20. millap thread starter macrumors regular

Done... There's a new link at the bottom of the website called FrontChat. Don't forget to uninstall FrontTV first.

http://web.mac.com/paul_and_sally/FrontTV/Download.html

21. oortmanp macrumors newbie

Hi millap,

thanks for programming! Its working like a charm.

oortmanp

22. drag0n macrumors newbie

Hi, any chance of porting this plugin to the AppleTV?
    Now that a hacked ATV can run EyeTV natively this seems like the perfect match.