Front Row Problem in 10.5 Please Help...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by technocoy, Oct 26, 2007.

1. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

Hey all,

Just got leopard installed seems great, but hen I try out front row with my videos it only shows a white screen... i can hear the audio, but get no video... even on movies downloaded from the iTunes store.

I can watch them fine through iTunes however...

I would love to be able to use front row on my 30" display.

I'm running a 2.66 MacPro with 6 Gigs of RAM..

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Technocoy

2. Irish Pete macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem - I used to have my Macbook connected to my plasma and running everything through frontrow, after upgrading to Leopard I can browse front row music and photos on the plasma but cannot play videos this way.

HOWEVER, when doing the same with my Mac mini I can see everything. This can't be right - any thoughts?

3. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

I don't know entirely, but being a Mac Pro might not help. Shouldn't make a difference though. Did you prevously hack your macpro to have access to front row?
    Did you upgrade, or clean install?

4. Irish Pete macrumors newbie

Problem solved!!!

Go to the settings, turn off the screen saver and try now.
    :D:apple::D

5. t-money macrumors newbie

I have the same (or very similar problem). FrontRow isn't showing video when connected to my HDTV with HDMI. However, when I don't have the MB connected to the tv, FrontRow displays video correctly.

This is on a upgraded 2.0 C2D MB w/1GB

ETA: Turning off the screen saver doesn't fix it on mine.

6. aygie macrumors regular

Hi guys first post so howdy!

Weird problem, front row on my mac pro works fine but will not connect to the internet for trailers i just get a message saying check settings (connection is fine in safari and mail) but on my powerbook on the same network its completely fine! any ideas?

Thanks

EDIT: oh yeah and im running leopard on both and my Mac pro trough my LCD TV, i suspect this could be the problem.

7. moloko macrumors newbie

Similar issues - Front Row interface, photo's, cover art all great - but while video's are visible in menu preview, screen is black tho with audio when playing - when external TV is connected to iBook G4 933MHz I use as media player.
    With no external monitor, it works fine. I tried playing a movie, then reconnecting the TV Adaptor (Apple made, mini-VGA to S-Video) to the iBook – interestingly I got picture on TV for the remainder of playback, but once I played the movie again from the menu, both LCD & TV went black, tho with audio as before.
    Same on PowerMac G5 (Rev.B 2 x 2GHz, June '04) work machine – menu previews show, but playback of audio with black screen on main display & additional video monitor, whether mirrored or not - main 22" LCD & composite monitor driven by ATI Radeon X800, connected to ADC/VGA adaptor & Apple G5 DVI/S-Video adaptors.

8. Pottsc macrumors newbie

Front Row Problems

Front Row is wonkie ! Goes to black screen at the oddest times. Even goes to black when scrolling past the index list. Looks like a prime candidate for a software fix. I've read in other forums that if you are using a external t.v., it tends to work better if you already have the t.v. turned on before launching front row.

9. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

As mentioned above (and by others on the net), going into Front Row's settings and disabling its screen saver has corrected this for many people, including myself :)

10. weckart macrumors 68040

Slightly different Front Row bug

I found another bug in Front Row. If I turned off all power saving options, thus keeping both screen and machine on and not putting the hard disk to sleep whenever possible, then Front Row keeps trying to go to sleep every fifteen seconds or so.

The screen goes black for a second and then it returns to where it was. Disabling screensavers had no effect on this. The only solution was to allow some element of power saving.

11. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Same problem:
    * Connect MacBook Pro to HDTV via DVI
    * Set display to mirror
    * Run Front Row. Everything works fine except...
    * Go to Movie Trailers, TV Shows, etc. and the screen goes black. I hear the audio but there's no video.
    * Disabling Front Row screen saver does nothing.

Running OS X 10.5 Leopard. I never tried this with Tiger so I don't know if this is a new problem or not.

[EDIT]

Found the solution. Set the TV as the primary display.
    Front Row: Videos only play on primary display

12. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

The primary display thing works, except what do we do with cloned displays?

13. moloko macrumors newbie

sorted! well, kinda...

installed Quicktime 7.3 & iTunes 7.5 updates:

- iBook with mirrored external TV works gr8 now :D

- G5 with external monitor (using main 22" for FR) still in the dark... :confused:

14. DaveF macrumors 6502a

In general it doesn't work (AFAIK)-- there's nothing to do about it, unfortunately.