Front Row questions....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cyroceon, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

Does Front Row only read stuff from iTunes? or can it read from any folders that are designated? Also, can it read any type of file, i.e. avi, wmv, etc...? Thanks.

2. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

It looks in your movies, music and pictures folders for the respective types of media. If you have, for example, movies stored on an external harddrive, you can create and alias of that folder and put it in your Movies folder to make front row navigate to it. (Create an alias by secondary clicking on the folder and choosing "Make Alias".)

I have plenty of .avi files that work fine in Front Row. I suspect, however, that .wmv files won't work since iTunes has to convert them to .m4a before it will play them.

3. Cyroceon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

What is an alias?

4. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

If you're familiar with Windows, it's the equivalent of a shortcut.

Basically, it's a link to a file or folder that you put wherever you want. For example, I have aliases for my external hard drive movie folders in my default movie folder. When I double click on one in Finder, it goes directly to the associated folder on my external hard drive.

5. Cyroceon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

Thank you, I went ahead and read the Switch 101 site at Apple.com and I also skimmed through all the tutorials at Mac 101 at Apple.com. This way when I get my MB, I'm ready to go.

6. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

:) Glad to be of service. And it's good that you're doing your research. I was in the same position as you only a few months ago ;)

7. Cyroceon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

Yea, it is definitely a switch, but I think once the nomenclature is figured out, the rest will follow relatively smoothly. Thanks.

8. DENZIE macrumors member

DENZIE

If you install flip4mac (wmv components for quicktime) front row will be able to play wmv files. It is a free component provided by ms for mac users

9. TheStu macrumors 65816

Don't forget about Perian, that will let you play back AVIs and some other formats in Quicktime (and therefore Front Row) as well.