Front Row thinks some TV episodes are movies

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by devburke, Sep 30, 2009.

1. devburke Guest

So I recently added a bunch of TV episodes to iTunes. They were initially movies in iTunes before I changed the type. Now they’re TV shows, they’re in the iTunes Media/TV Shows folder, and everything. Yet some of them still show up in Front Row. They still even play from Front Row. They also show up under TV Shows. If I start playing them and stop in the middle, the “resume” function starts at the same time for both entries. How do I fix this???

2. alex1913 macrumors member

alex1913

Fix

Go to get info of that file on itunes and under one of the options change it to tv show instead of movie

3. devburke thread starter Guest

They were already like that. I don’t think you get what the problem was. They were set as TV Shows, it’s just that when they were first imported they were set as movies. In iTunes, they’re TV Shows. In Finder, they’re in the TV Shows folder. Hell, even in Front Row, they show up under TV Shows. But they also showed up under Movies in Front Row. No matter what I did it seemed that they had some kind of hidden permanent movie tag. I ended up just reimporting them. Even after removing them from the iTunes library and putting them in the trash, Movies still showed them (and even played them!)

4. yuanbao macrumors newbie

Hey... I have this exact same problem... the tv shows are tagged as TV shows, they are listed under TV Shows in itunes and in Finder... and are NOT listed under Movies in iTunes... BUT... when I start Front Row, they remain listed under Movies AND TV Shows... how can I remove them from "Movies" in Front Row?

5. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

I think the problem is that changing the 'media type' tag within iTunes doesn't actually change the tag stored in the video file itself. It just changes the 'media type' in its internal database. This is the same reason why album artwork doesn't always reappear if you delete a music file and then add it back into iTunes again.

Try this: Delete the file from the iTunes library. Download MetaX or Lostify and make sure the 'media type' in there is 'TV Show'. This will modify the tag within the file itself. Add the file back into iTunes and see if that fixes the problem.

6. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

i had this problem aswell after doing a clean install of SL the other day, i managed to fix it by pressing cmd + A whilst in the tv shows library on itunes, then going reselecting the tv show option in media type. i don't know if it was a fluke or anything, but it fixed all my problems

7. brianwyrick macrumors newbie

I have tried a couple of these options, and I am still having the issue. It is only with one show, in mp4 format. Has anyone come across anything else?

8. chocolate632 macrumors 6502

This has been happening the me ever since I installed snow leopard, so I'm sure it's a bug or something. And not only this, but do the tv shows get named "various" or "untitled" in the tv shows in frontrow? I know you can fix this problem by retagging them a few times, but this is very annoying, hopefully a fix will be out soon

9. tomacintosh macrumors regular

Also having this very annoying problem with my iMac. Has anyone found a solution yet?

EDIT: Finally seem to have found a fix. Selecting all my TV Shows at once and editing the type to 'TV Show' didn't work. But I found if I did it one season/series at a time then it moved them over fine. Bit time consuming, but it worked for me :)

10. dmadriano macrumors newbie

Make an alias

I have all my media on an external hard drive so the files were not where OSX would normally have them. I don't know if thats why this problem comes up but it sure makes the Movies nigh unusable.

To get around this I created an alias to the folder where the movie files are actually stored and placed that alias in the "Movies" folder. Now I can select "Movie Folder" in Front Row and then access the alias which opens into pretty much what Front Row is supposed to be showing (assuming your file names are clean)

As a small aside, Front Row in Tiger worked great. Back when TV shows were organized in a simple "show -> season -> episode" as opposed to being forced to resort to learning the artwork to differentiate between seasons. And even then the seasons aren't in any logical order either! If only Tiger's Front Row would fully work on Snow Leopard I would downgrade in a second. And I'm very confused by that reality...

11. randallisation macrumors newbie

I too had this issue with Front Row / iTunes Media. I finally got fed up and moved to XBMC - however, I did find a fix. (I hate Front Row in 10.5/6, I loved it in 10.4)

Remove the media from iTunes, and download MetaX, when that is open, add your media into it and set it to tag as TV Shows. It would appear (as above) that the iTunes tagging doesn't correctly set the file as a TV Show, thus Front Row breaks.

Just as a warning - back up your files... I had an issue where MetaX caused my shows to be retagged but then they only had a black screen with audio. You need to enable support for large files, (MetaX > Preferences > General > Enable support for large files. After doing that, it worked fine.

- Side note - MetaX took a while to re-tag a show, maybe 1-2 minutes, so with a large library it is best to do it overnight I found. Hope this helps.

12. madmungo macrumors newbie

Yup... same here. Is this not just a bit crazy?

So, let's just get a bit of a straight line on this. You import a standard itunes compatible file, (i know this as i have been using visualhub now for 3 years to import all my movies and TV shows) and it goes in to the movies section by default. You choose the drop down in Itunes 'get info', TV Show, and name the show etc. Batch or single file, it makes no difference. Then as if by magic, it all pops out of Movies and in to TV shows. Great. All is good and as it should be.

Then you start Front Row and it has a totally different idea of what your media is. I am a little uncertain if FR has started reading the info from somewhere that is not the Itunes library. But i have had some luck with pulling the files out of Itunes and metaz-ing them and putting them back in. however, it is not 100 percent effective.

I can only really see two causes to this. Either my itunes is a bit knackered and it is changing it's database and not the file metadata, thus causing the discrepancy, or Front Row is not reading the metadata correctly. oh.. actually, maybe :apple: has gone a different route of where FR gets the info. But that would mean it had been released without basic testing... unlikely.

I have tried all of the methods listed here and in other forums, and so far only changing the metadata with metaz or x (metaz has a more up to date library) has really had some success.
    I have experienced the 'various' and 'untitled' naming of my perfectly named files, as per mentioned above.

It is all a bit touch and go really. To be brutally honest, after spending today trying to report it to Apple and finding out that they do not have a support page for FR, nor do they want emails about itunes if it is not about the itunes store; i feel a little bit Microsofted about the whole problem.
    It really is not usual for Apple to make me feel a bit let down. I even searched for a FR alternative today... but there is not really anything as good.
    I am hoping to ignore it for a couple of weeks and just keep clicking 'check for updates' :-D

P.S. as an additional bit of info... my APPLETV has no problem with the library. It sees all the files as perfectly as itunes sees them.

13. madmungo macrumors newbie

getting some progress

Ok as a bit of an update, i would like to let you know how i am getting on.

I decided to start from fresh and by holding down the option key while opening itunes, it asks you to open a library, or create a new one.
    So i created a new one.
    Upon looking at the work i would need to do (adding ALL tvshows back in to tvshows and music vids back to music vids etc) i decided that was waay too much work, and closed itunes, reopening again pressing the option key and choosing my old library again.

The reason i mention this is that it had moved all physical video files in to the movie folder and even though i opened my old library again, it did not move them back to the tvshows folder until you click get info in itunes on each individual file. My way around this was to choose tv shows etc by bulk, so highlighting series one to ten of 'friends' for example and choosing get info. then changing genre to comedy etc. This moved them all back to tv shows folder. When i am talking about folder, i mean the physical file system folder under finder.
    Now back to the problem.
    The problem tv shows were still showing up under movies and tvshows in FR. I did use metax and z and did not seem to get too much joy. however 'parsley is atomically delicious' worked very well. It does bulk changing and when setting the type to tv show in parsley it seemed to stick in FR. i now have only a couple of series to go and my movies directory is looking cleaner.
    I would like to get the process a bit cleaner, and most likely my fiddling around with the library did not make a difference, but i thought it was worth mentioning.
    I would not use parsley for movies, metaz is awesome for that. It has a big library and the online content makes it very easy to get cover art and info. But parsley seems to work for tv shows.

14. comus57 macrumors newbie

comus57

Front Row listing fixed

I had the same problems. Ripped DVD to AppleTv format to for a good quality picture without sacrificing a lot of hard drive space and imported them to the iTunes library. Front Row displayed the TV Shows in the Movie section as well as the TV Show section.

I recently downloaded 'VideoDrive" from MacUpdate website. I then updated all the Meta data on the TV Shows and low and behold, Front Row displays the TV Shows correctly. Gone is the long list of TV Shows in the Movie section. The only problem I had, was one episode lost the individual episode titles, so I just have to go back and re-title them. Not sure why it lost them, it was the Star Trek Remastered Season 2, haven't ripped season one to iTunes yet, so I'm not sure if it was a one time glitch or what.

Good Luck

15. The Gorn macrumors newbie

!!!!SOLVED!!!!

Here's the deal: iTunes, for some inexplicable reason, cannot fix this by editing "Media Kind", in "Options". However, Doug Adams' script "Make Video Tags v1.2" does fix it!

In Front Row, not only are the TV shows gone from "Movies", they correctly appear in "TV Shows" with their proper titles. For example, episodes of "All in the Family" no longer appear under "Untitled", but under "All in the Family"

Get it here: http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=makevideotags

This has been busting my balls for quite some time, and I can now finally watch my hundreds of TV shows and movies in Front Row... again! Doug Adams is a frikkin hero!!

16. xpressyrself, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010

xpressyrself macrumors newbie

Not completely solved, he is not my hero (yet).

I tried 'MetaX' and 'Doug's script'. They both seemed to work, but 'Doug's script' displayed a timeout error message (it might not be compatible with iTunes v10.0.1 on Mac OSX v10.6.4).

The TV Shows now have 'names' other than 'Untitled', this is a good start.

I still have an issue with multiple seasons of the same TV Show appearing as 'different' Shows with exactly the same name, and not in any particular order. For example: 'Dexter' is listed 5 times (once for each season).

In the previous FrontRow it displayed all the Shows once and the next menu would have all the episodes grouped by season, oldest at the bottom and newest at the top. I can see it displayed this way when I log onto the relevant Source from another computer on the network, which is set up exactly the same as the first computer (lets say it is a mirror image).

I noticed that the media library was displayed properly when accessed through 'Sources' from FrontRow on other computers running 10.6.4 and below (even before I tried to fix the tags with 'MetaX' and 'Doug's Script').

The problem that I have is that our Mac Mini is the 'Source' and it is the central computer that acts as a Home Media Center. It is connected to a Plasma and it does not run FrontRow from another source.

After all the problems I had with FrontRow I decided to spend $15 for a copy of SofaControl, which works much better (until Apple do something about it, which could take forever). If we all create a case on Bug Reporter then the message will get to the developers, and the problem should get fixed faster.

https://bugreport.apple.com/