Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2003
UK
I just noticed this in my Software Update box. Cool - it says I only need to log out!

Downloading now, wrecklessly, since this iMac is going back anyway.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
jacg said:
I just noticed this in my Software Update box. Cool - it says I only need to log out!

Downloading now, wrecklessly, since this iMac is going back anyway.

EDIT: DeTIals of update? (got to learn to spell correctly first time!)

Why is your iMac going back?

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Well that was a waste of time...

Doesn't seem to fix the most obvious flaw - it still appears to hang when those software agreement boxes come up. Then it hangs becuase my new iMac is not authorised. Why not at least do something intelligent like go back to the application?

The menu button or escape does nothing - I have to press command-alt-escape. Now admitedly some people who have things to see or hear (because they used the Transfer function) will probably know about that key combination but otherwise it's going to be a pretty unfriendly introduction to Front Row.

I wonder what this update does do? Pause for first time seems the same (3 seconds) and for subsequent times (1.5 seconds).

revjay

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2004
Beautiful Vancouver Island
swingerofbirch said:
does front row run slowly on the imac g5s? (i've never used it)
It is not so bad, on my machine, as long as the programs (iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie/DVD) are open before hitting the front row menu button on the remote...although, when I select music playlists that are kinda big, front row hangs up a bit (4-7 seconds).
My solution...shorter playlists and slideshows for Front Row.
My movies play great...that is, the movies I have edited and produced...I can't see myself paying for the little bit of video content that Apple provides through iTunes.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
IF Apple put the time and money in to develop this software, then it's their right to choose WHEN and IF they wish to:

* Sell it

* Give it away

* Or include it in a bundle with other things (iLife 06, future Macs, or future standalone remote bundle)

Until then, it's only for people who bought it (iMac G5 owners) and anything else is piracy. Apple has the right to stop iMac owners from giving away unlicensed copies.

But do tell Apple you want it for other Macs:
http://apple.com/feedback

cyclotron451

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Europe
on my Mac Mini I had to open the packages manually and I found a "new" DVD Player.app v4.6.3 as the major component inside the front row 1.01 update

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
Well this doesn't fix Front Row's biggest flaw...

It still won't display albums inside folders in iPhoto when the folders are contracted. Just spins, and spins and spins...

clcnyc

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
NYC
Also didn't fix the movie trailer problem

Every time I click on a movie preview, I get the "Movie Server not available at this time", or something to that effect.

revjay

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2004
Beautiful Vancouver Island
clcnyc said:
Every time I click on a movie preview, I get the "Movie Server not available at this time", or something to that effect.
You are likely seeing that message because your internet connection is not keeping up with Apple's streaming info...am I wrong on this one?

D3LM3L

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2005
Detroit
Crap... I'm getting the no minimize button again on my PowerMac G5!! Is anyone else having this problem/has a solution? This never happened before the 1.0.1 update!

clcnyc

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
NYC
no...

revjay said:
You are likely seeing that message because your internet connection is not keeping up with Apple's streaming info...am I wrong on this one?
Not likely, I'm on high speed cable.

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
D3LM3L said:
Crap... I'm getting the no minimize button again on my PowerMac G5!! Is anyone else having this problem/has a solution? This never happened before the 1.0.1 update!

Have this periodic bug on my PowerBook, my Mac Mini, my iMac and my iBook since Tiger 10.4.0. Reported bug reports to Apple since 10.4.0.

My friends get it on various Macs ranging from old 800MHz PowerBooks to the latest PowerMacs.

I think we can safely assume it's a Tiger-wide issue and not specific to your machine or the Front Row update.

PS: I think it's OS X's most annoying and embarrassing bug... I mean... not being able to minimize windows!!! Get a grip Apple.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
clcnyc said:
Not likely, I'm on high speed cable.

I'm on a high speed cable modem as well, but that doesn't make a difference. Cable modems are not perfect (they are a far cry from perfect, especially if you have service through Time Warner). I get that message every once in a while, too. It just means the server can't keep up.

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
spencecb said:
I'm on a high speed cable modem as well, but that doesn't make a difference. Cable modems are not perfect (they are a far cry from perfect, especially if you have service through Time Warner). I get that message every once in a while, too. It just means the server can't keep up.

yeah, i agree. i hear internet's generally faster in europe... wish i was there. :rolleyes:

hcorf

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2004
who told you internet is faster in europe, all the big server are in the states. Sure, uk websites are faster here (i get a ping of 12-15 from some sites) but for most stuff i am assuming the journey accross the atlantic would give a little lag.

phawksworth

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2005
Putney, London, England
amateurmacfreak said:
yeah, i agree. i hear internet's generally faster in europe... wish i was there. :rolleyes:

That's news to me. We have been playing catch-up here in the UK for a while. Broadband is only just reaching out to people who don't live in/near cities. Now that it is taking off, it is really taking off, but I don't think we beat the US for bandwidth.

Roll on free, open, wireless hotspots!

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
hcorf said:
who told you internet is faster in europe, all the big server are in the states. Sure, uk websites are faster here (i get a ping of 12-15 from some sites) but for most stuff i am assuming the journey accross the atlantic would give a little lag.

Time to get the concorde back... :p :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.