Front Row w/ Lid closed on MB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smadder, Nov 15, 2007.

1. smadder macrumors member

On every MB I've used since they first came out, you could hook the audio and video up, close the lid, and if it went into sleep mode, the Apple Remote would trigger a "wake up" for mediacenter purposes on a TV/stereo. My SR MB w/ 10.5 doesn't do it. As soon as the lid closes, it's asleep no matter how I toggle the view between screen and external port. Front Row doesn't wake it anymore.

Anyone else having this problem? I wanted to find out before calling and asking...

2. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

3. mrock macrumors member

I had this trouble as well. The way I can do it is:

-Connect to AC power (will *not* work on battery)
    -Connect up a USB keyboard/mouse
    -Connect display (I have a VGA monitor)
    -Make sure display is on mirror (not split-screen)
    -Close Macbook Lid, wait till it sleeps
    -Unplug and then plug the USB keyboard/mouse back in to wake it up

The display is now on full resolution and I can use Frontrow absolutely fine. I don't think the Apple Remote will wake from sleep into clamshell mode.

4. smadder thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm... do you think it's the new SR MB hardware or Leopard?

5. smadder thread starter macrumors member

at work

Yep. Hooked it up at work and it stays asleep there too. Again, no matter how I set the screen (split, int. mon, ext mon., mirror) nothing wakes it up.

I did try replugging the keyboard and mouse to wake it up... no dice.

6. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Judging by everything else that's happened... I would say Leopard. I can try this tonight, but I have an original Macbook. I do have Leopard though. I have never tried this as I always have my external monitor on when using front row.

I also think the new Front Row might have something to do with this. It's slightly different to the old one in what it does.

Mine wakes up with bluetooth KB and Mouse as well as external...

7. mrock macrumors member

I don't think it's either. I have a C2D (pre-SR) Macbook and Leopard, although the websites documenting the process for clamshell mode were written way before Leopard.

8. smadder thread starter macrumors member

Yes, but every MB before this (running Tiger) did activate in clamshell for external functionality ("docked"). This is what I'm wondering: hardware or Leopard?

9. smadder thread starter macrumors member

Really? The pre C2D 2.16 I brought home from work yesterday did it... so did the SR MBP I snuck home.

10. mrock macrumors member

Yep. Mine's a 2.16 C2D, White, bought about a week before SR. I did have a bit of bother getting it all working but clamshell works fine now.

Is your keyboard/mouse wireless or bluetooth, or wired? That might be something to do with it...

11. smadder thread starter macrumors member

Yeah.. the pre SR MB from work does it as well as the SR MBP... both on Tiger... I guess that's probably it. I have all three at work right now and I am cycling through them for one final round of tests and it's got to be Leopard (God I hope it's just Leopard).

I'm the techie here and just convinced my entire division to switch to Macs (a 2 year effort) and MBs are going out to all directors (they want them before T-giving, so Monday/Tuesday of next week), and I think I'm going to have to retro fit them w/ Tiger.

Unless 10.5.1 comes out and fixes this between today and Sunday. Otherwise, I'm gonna be here all weekend imaging up a bunch of new computers instead of just activating them.

12. smadder thread starter macrumors member

I've got all of them here and have tried them all..

I remember this function working... here's an example: we use an Apple TV here for stuff, and it's synced to the pre-SR MB. It used to be a pain in the ass because if I hit the Apple Remote for the ATV, w/the MB lid closed & sleeping, sleeping MB would wake up while closed, so I'd always stick my finger over the IR port or turrn it off.

Gotta be Leopard.... right? Please?

13. krissvl macrumors member

Is it not possible to get frontrow on an external monitor without mirroring the displays?

14. shouldberunning macrumors member

You are correct sir. Now my remote wakes it but it sets itself to PAL every time. Very annoying.

I would say it's a software issue. I'm positive this worked on this very machine before I upgraded to Snow Leapord.

15. jon08 macrumors 65816

Oh this is such BS!!! So apparently Front Row still won't work on an external monitor in a clamshell mode?????

16. refund macrumors newbie

So is there a way to NOT have your ATV remote wake up your MB when it's asleep or put it into frontrow mode??