Front Row??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mac2thefuture, Jun 24, 2007.

1. mac2thefuture macrumors 65816

I don't use it too much but have been doing so lately, i'm seriously consisdering getting Apple TV so i've been getting a flavour for it and showing the missus what it is we'll get from ATV (sort of).
    Anyway, Front Row.......when playing the majority of my media through frontrow the quality is very questionable.
    Even pod-cast trailers / movies / music vids bought from iTunes.....they're pixelated when on full screen on my iMac 24".
    1. Is there a setting i can change so media that i've paid for can be viewed with frontrow?
    2. Is this going to be the same if i purchase ATV, i have a HD 42" Pannasonic - will all my media not look too pretty their either.
    3. If answer to Q1 is no, then whats the point of Front row?

Thanks in advance for you time.

2. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I think depends on your screen resolution and the resolution of the video's you're trying to watch that changes how pixelated the video's are.

3. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

If they're pixelated when you play them full screen that's normally due to the low quality of the media you're playing, not down to Front Row.

There aren't really any 'settings' to get better quality, it's just the quality of the file. You could try getting a better quality version of it I guess?

4. mac2thefuture thread starter macrumors 65816

But that's my point, 99% of what i watched through front-row is bought from iTunes so you expect good quality. Indeed if watched through iTunes in the small window then yes the quality is superb, but what about through front-row on iMac24" and indeed any of you apple tv guys on +40" tv's.....hows the quality? Otherwise i cant see the point to front-row other than to view photo's / play music.

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Stuff bought on iTunes is usually 640px wide maximum. When viewing it in fullscreen you are almost tripling the size of the screen (depending on screen res) so it will look crap.

My screen res is 1680 x 1050 if I have a 640 pixel vid and make it fullscreen I am stretching it a hell of a lot so it looks poo.

I have an AppleTV and a 42" plasma. The same 640px file looks great on my TV because I have set the TV res to 720px, so I am only stretching the file from 640 to 720. I can however set the TV res much higher but you will only lose quality because its down to the original source file.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Why not wait until Leapord? Front Row 2 has a very :apple: TV style design to it. The new Front Row will play higher bitrate videos than an :apple: TV, so you'll be able to encode much higher quality videos and not get the pixelated graphics.