Front Row

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dobbs2, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

What is it's purpose? I mean I know you can watch your media files that are on your mac, but you have itunes, quicktime, or dvd player. Is it for recording or editing video? Is it better for watching movie and tv shows on your mac?

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

It's like media centre for windows. If you got the apple remote that came with your mac, then you'll find it more useful as you can control it from a distance, say from your bed.

3. devburke Guest

Yeah I'd say it's all about the Apple Remote. Shame they stopped bundling it for free :(

4. Pooshka macrumors 65816

5. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok so the only real benefit of front row is to watch videos and use the remote?
    Can you record stuff from front row or any other features that it has? You say its like windows media center how do you stream from it?

6. devburke Guest

It doesn't really add any functionality that isn't in the OS already, other than presenting a simplified interface to your media, fully controllable with an Apple remote. But it is the same media you'd have anyway (other than the movie trailers, those you'd have to go to the internet for).

Front Row's actually a little buggy and neglected in some ways. For example, why does Applications show up as a playlist for my music? It's almost like FR was a hack that wasn't written by the same company that wrote iTunes.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

At least FR doesn't leave iTunes running in the background anymore.

8. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

That was the BEST thing about FR in Tiger. Integration with itunes was fantastic. I used FR for music all the time back then, when you could switch between the desktop and FR without the music stoping. I don't see how that could ever have been a problem.

9. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Exactly! I hate how the music stops when you exit to the media selection screen (or the home screen/top). I'm just browsing around, can't I listen to some music while I search for a funny TV show to waste some time with?