Frontlines - Actually Quite Good

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by simontarr, Mar 1, 2008.

1. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

I've read the previous thread here regarding the disappointment of the Frontlines demo. I must have been one of the few who thought that the demo was actually quite good- good enough to make me pre-order the game anyway.

So it arrived yesterday, but I've only got a chance to play it today. Here are my thoughts about the game for those who are debating whether to get it or not, and also to start a bit of discussion about the game...

- Firstly, I think it shouldn't be compared directly with COD4- yes, there are some similarities in the fact that they are both 'futuristic' FPSs, but I don't think FFOW takes itself too seriously, compared to COD4.

- The graphics are still a disappointment (I was secretly hoping for a few graphics tweaks from what we saw in the demo) Up close, some of the textures are brilliant and the explosions/muzzle flashes/exhaust fumes all look spiffing but the shadow draw distance is pathetic. I understand the maps are HUGE and that the draw distance is a trade-off for epicness, but I still don't think it's up to scratch considering what the 360 is capable of.

- The snipers rifle is still pissing me off: the crosshairs are quite clearly trained on some poor guys head yet when I pull the trigger, the round misses! Yet on other occasions it hits the mark, exactly as intended. What's the deal with that?!

- Annoyed at how short it is. I'm by no means speedy when it comes to completing games, but this has only taken me around 6-7 hours on normal difficulty.

Overall, I think this is worth a purchase despite what I've said previously. It's simply because when you're in the middle of a battle, your sound system turned up full, it's just a damn good laugh. The firefights are amazingly intense, the enemy just keep swarming on your position and after you have suppressed one wave and think you've done a good job, another tank and battalion of men come round another corner. Yes, the AI do seem to be pretty stupid and the rag doll physics are a bit, erm.....rubbish but the sheer scale and intensity of the firefights just make it fun to play. And that's what a game should be, isn't it? Fun.

--------------------------------------------//
    Other good things I've noticed since posting

1) When you headshot someone, their little helmet flies off into the air. Totally unrealistic, but fun none the less.

2) The lighting effects are pretty nice, as are the mini-explosions as bullets hit concrete/metal etc.

3) When you redeploy, having the option to select what kind of weapons you would like (Assault, Heavy Assault, Sniper, Anti-Vehicle & Special Ops) along with a special 'tech role' (Ground Support, EMP Tech, Drone Tech & Air Support) is cool- it brings another dimension to the game, which is probably more noticeable with the huge online battles.

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I downloaded the demo a week ago or so, and I also liked it. Like you said, the graphics aren't the best the Xbox 360 can pump out, but they weren't horrible, either, and the enormous levels and combat made up for that. I've been considering buying the game, but still not sure yet...

3. simontarr thread starter macrumors 6502

simontarr

Well if there are any questions you still have about the game, just let me know and I'll see if I can answer them.

I'm gonna take this on XBL soon- I have a feeling that with 16-a-side battles with all the weapons and vehicles, it will be a good laugh. There seems to be an endless scope for tactics.

4. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    It plays just like Battlefield 2, quirks, disappointments and all. IMO not worth the cash.

5. spoon man macrumors 6502a

spoon man

Yeah I have my copy I was playing it before coming to work its kick ass. Its not in the same league as cod 4 tho but its stands on its own I love the drones they rock I will be playing this sometime :D

6. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I'm really loving Frontlines, I am a huge fan of Battlefield 2 (not that Modern Combat rubbish which made it to the 360). It's great fun and as close to the same feeling I got when playing BF2. I'll definitely be playing this for a good long while (I've got a beta key for Battlefield : Bad Company, so I'll see how that compares once it goes live)

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

pretty sure they did.

Shawn Elliot from GFW/1up seemed to like aspects of it. The smaller maps are supposed to be much better than the larger maps. The PC version seems to be plagued with bugs at the moment (maybe they have all been fixed in the past couple weeks...?) especially with Vista. I worry about the online community dying down too much before it gets a price cut since with CoD4 and Warhawk and TF2 I can't really justify another online only game

9. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Kind of OT, but Shawn Elliott is funny as hell.

10. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

lol, yup. I don't really care. It looked good but there are better FPSs coming to the PS3 soon.

11. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

he's my hero (ok not literally), he sucks on 1up Yours though, he kind of needs the spotlight and Garnett/Shane are both attention hogs

12. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I assume you listen to GFW radio. I like it almost more than 1up yours.