Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
For those that are missing Front Row, try Movist from the app store, it's about $5, and well worth it, I think. :)

For me with heaps of instructional videos on digital SLR photography where there are lots of lessons in lots of folders, it automatically follows on to the next lesson (within a folder, that is).

Its architecture is almost identical to the old Front Row too. So really easy to navigate. It doesn't do music or photo's though, which is the same as Front Row on Lion.

Verloc

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
Plex is more of an alternative to Front Row ("ten foot interface").

Movist is merely a player (agree it's a good one, though).

modernmagic

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2003
I looked on the App store but couldn't see if you can tell it where your files are located? Front Row listed everything in the Movies folder, included aliases.

modernmagic

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2003
I have tried Plesk 0.9.5.4 as an alternative to Front Row as of 10.8 but it is not as easy for the whole family to use. I have a 78 year old mother that babysit my 2 year old and if it is not easy then both of them will start crying...

Front row was all controlled by up and down arrows and the spacebar to play/pause.

Plesk is too geeky for anyone but me.

I had Front Row running on 10.7 using this http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/21/how-to-install-front-row-on-lion/

But it is not working on 10.8 :-(

I just use iTunes and "Remote" on the iPhone to play movies on my HTMini but this is too much for my mom... anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.