Frontrow not recognizing music in itunes.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jdl8422, Aug 20, 2007.

1. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I went to use my frontrow to listen to some music. When I select playlist they are all there, but there are no songs in the playlist. If I go to select songs it says there arnt any in itunes, but I have almost 30gigs of music. When I select a movie it recognizes them. I tried to repair permisions. I dont know what else to do, because I never have problems with my mac. I hope someone out there can help me. Thanks.

2. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Yeah, I've had this problem before too.

The problem is that FrontRow will only recognize/play the songs you have checked. If it is unchecked, it won't see it. Thus, whatever songs you want to be recognized, you have to check in the far left hand column. If you want your whole library to show up, you have to check them all.

3. jdl8422 thread starter macrumors 6502

jdl8422

really?, I have everything unchecked because it bugs me when I have some checked and some not. I am kinda anal about the organization of itunes. When I get home I will see if checking it helps. THANKS.

4. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

hope you know about the short cut
    > select all
    > right click
    >"check selection"

just to make sure... it'd be a pain to do them all at once ;)

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

They are all unchecked? That doesn't make much sense to me, but anyway, yes, check your music back on and Front Row will be happy.

6. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

See, it makes perfect sense to me. Why would I want to check all of them? What if I only want to listen to one song, and then have the music stop?

It's annoying having all of my songs checked b/c I simply don't want to listen to them in that order, or those specific songs?

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Well I understand having some checked and some unchecked. But all or none is what doesn't make sense.

Why not just narrow a quick search for that one song you're playing? I dunno, I mean there is more than one solution to most problems. No big deal I guess.

8. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

There are *MANY* ways of organizing your music to prevent this. Checking is meant more for a long term thing than a short term thing. (For example, I have a few of the "Apple Original" albums that have songs interspersed with interviews. I have the interview tracks unchecked so that they will only play if I make an effort for them to play.)

One is to just search for the song name you want, another is to use the 'Browser', another is to create a playlist.

Checking is meant more for excluding than including. (i.e. you should have almost all of your music checked, and only un-check when you really don't want a certain track to play; not the other way around.)

And, yes, Front Row will only show checked songs. I would suggest checking your songs as the default, and using search or browse when you want to play a single song; and only un-check a track when you are certain you don't want it to 'accidentally' play.

Here's an example, in these screenshots, I am playing Moby's "iTunes Originals" album with the interview tracks unchecked, and the music tracks checked. If I hit play, it will play only the music tracks. I have narrowed it down to this pick using the 'Browser' in the first screenshot, and have achieved the same effect by typing "Moby Originals" in the search box in the second. If I wanted to play just a single song, I could type enough unique information about it to narrow it down to one song in the search box. (For example, I have three versions of Moby's "Southside", if I only wanted to play the Originals version, I would just type "Moby Originals Southside")

I have the interview tracks unchecked because I almost never want to hear them. The only time I do is when I am willing to make an effort to double click them. For example, I don't want them to play while shuffling in Front Row, nor in Party Shuffle mode, nor do I want them synced to my iPod (I have "Only check synced songs" on my iPod sync page.)