Frontrow remote codes?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macwalker, Oct 15, 2007.

1. macwalker macrumors newbie

I am trying to see if I could use my multi function remote control to navigate the front row interface on a mac mini. Is this even possible? If so, what codes should I use? I dont have a learning remote currently but am ready to buy one if I can get this functionality. Currently, I own a URC6131 that is great for all other devices I connect except for the Mac for which I have to use the apple remote. Trying to simplify the clutter on my couch.

I have already tried the iredlite.app which is great if I want to use the apple remote for other than itunes, but I dont want to use the apple remote at all, if possible. If the urc remote (from one for all www.ofa.com) has the ability to control macs and if anybody is doing that, please share the secret.

Thanks.

2. stvcmty macrumors newbie

I have taught my learning remote how to control front row and do everything the apple remote can do.

My remote is an X10 universal remote. UR74A

I got mine on ebay for less than $13 with shipping.

I followed the directions with the remote to teach it the commands from the apple remote. It took several tries. On the first try, I got the error code blink on the learning remote. It took several tries for each command, but eventually I got the single blink that told me it learned it right.

Now I have one remote for my tv, my stereo, my vcr, my mac mini, and my lights.

The x10 feature on the UR74A is really neat, with x10 modules and an x10 wireless receiver, TM751, the remote lets me turn on and off lights.

Stv

3. Bunsen macrumors member

If your remote isn't a learning one, I don't think you'll be able to use it because the Apple codes don't seem to be "standard" equipment codes like most home theatre equipment.
    I have the Logitech Harmony 880 remote, which downloads the remote codes for your exact equipment from the internet, and it has the Apple remote codes. I think it's under the computer category though (it's been a while since I set mine up)
    I can control my MacBook Pro and my iPod in the universal dock with the remote just fine, so it should work with the Mac Mini as well as the :apple:TV. Just make sure you haven't paired a particular remote to the mac or it won't work. (and you can't pair to a non-apple remote)
    Now, it's not a cheap remote, but it is very powerful, easy to set up, and very easy to control even a complex setup (ie Marriage saver!)
    Plus the best part, all the buttons are real, tactile, can-find-them-when-you're-fast-forwarding-the-DVR kind of buttons!
    Sorry for the tangent, but I really love this remote!
    http://www.logitech.com

4. stvcmty macrumors newbie

The UR74A Has the apple remote codes built in under audio, apple iPod, 0885.

I should have read the entire code sheet before teaching it from the apple remote.

out of the box, by putting in a code, the UR74A can control front row and everything else the apple remote can.

Stv

Bunsen, thank you for giving me the idea to see if the UR74A had an ipod code built in.

5. rondavesal macrumors newbie

Front row control with ur74a

@stvcmty: great tip using that code with the ur74a to control iTunes/Front Row on top of all lights etc with X10 (and I've also set it up to control my home theater projector using the remote-to-remote feature).
    However, don't you find that the actual buttons you need to use on the ur74a to control Front Row don't make sense at all?? Why can't you use the arrows for similar function as on the apple remote and the ok button in the center to select. It might actually work better to just `learn' the remote button by button the way you did it before.

6. ElishaShemuel macrumors newbie

Macbook pro universal remote codes? MYRIO remote, what codes will work?

Does anyone know all the macbook pro codes for any remote, or all remotes? The macbook pro saith any remote can be used with it. How? Where are the instructions to set any remote up with? Thank you

7. clovervidia macrumors newbie

I used my brother's GE Universal Remote with my iMac.
    In the code paper, there is a code for Apple iPod, and that code is 0885.
    I'm still looking for one for my Zenith remote, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!