Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MDMachiavelli

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2015
1,000 Mil From Nowhere
Indeed they do, but there should be some way to simplify discovery if I want to use one besides the half-dozen I usually use (I refuse to watch the emoji movie). I have about 20,000 songs in my iTunes library, but it's easy to find stuff I want besides the songs marked favorite. Same with Plex. The keyboard emoji suggestions do help, but I think we've gotten to the point where we need some sort of built-in emoji search function.
Good point.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Indeed they do, but there should be some way to simplify discovery if I want to use one besides the half-dozen I usually use (I refuse to watch the emoji movie). I have about 20,000 songs in my iTunes library, but it's easy to find stuff I want besides the songs marked favorite. Same with Plex. The keyboard emoji suggestions do help, but I think we've gotten to the point where we need some sort of built-in emoji search function.

The Google Keyboard has a good search function for this. But agree Apple should have it built in as well.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
emojis are the ugliest smilies I have seen in my 20 years + on the internet. Only the vBulletin smilies were worse.
I wish they could have used the Blackberry ones or at least the MSN ones.

Reactions: simonmet

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
My mate Jeremy said the poo was meant to be angry before he suggest it be sad instead and now I will never forgive him for vetoing the definitive Trump emoji.
[doublepost=1501917983][/doublepost]
The Google Keyboard has a good search function for this. But agree Apple should have it built in as well.
You can type the word and auto-complete will suggest the emoji. Or even after typing it all, when you switch to the emoji keyboard iOS will highlight words that can be replaced with emojis. The functionality is pretty much already there.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
emojis are the ugliest smilies I have seen in my 20 years + on the internet. Only the vBulletin smilies were worse.
Funny, I've been thinking that the vBulletin ones were actually better. Nostalgically (for me) pixelated, sometimes animated (fave: slamming head against wall), often customized to the vB forum (e.g. great driving ones over at Audizine), and in many cases more expressive. Look at the ones here and conpare them to the hi-res but relatively vanilla ones in the keyboard.

Chicane-UK

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2008
You realise you have :Apple: emoji all over your sig?

In the context of a signature on a forum, which I've been a member on for years then.. I don't see it entirely in the same context as something pushed as a selling point on mobile devices for the last couple of years, and as something to base an entire movie off. But point taken.

EsqCats

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2016
If we are going to create a universal world-wide logogram, Why not just adopt Chinese, half the world already understand it and the definitions have been around for centuries. Right, young people always want something new, what a waste.

Because the Chinese characters (hànzì) are practically arbitrary representations while the meaning of modern emojis are intuitive. Keep in mind that emojis were created by a culture which already used logograms, so clearly there is value in a non-languge specific representations

Reactions: ErikGrim

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
The whole emoji idea is running out of hand. Out of billion's of people on the planet there will always a few (=millions) complaining that their race, their house, cars, their pets (and currently, their poo) aren't represented.
And they will never be, because the development of ancient languages has learned us that there are just too many objects on the planet to be uniqiely depicted by symbols (or icons, for that matter) which ultimately lead to characterisation in words.
I hope we don't have to go through that learning curve again.
I suggest that we disassemble the Unicode Emoji Subcommittee and offer them a decent job in rural farming or alike where they can relive the development curve that they strive for.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.