Froze and texts gone

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by comda, Apr 19, 2014.

1. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

hello.

My GF has a iphone 4. When given a replacement at the apple store, she was given new one with ios 7.. Since then.. oh my Gosh. Bad response times constant freezing, lagging etc. Then last night.. she was texting a few of her friends and the phone became unusable. It was lagging hard. So she hard reset it to find that all her Text messages are gone! First the list still existed in messages, but when she selected the no named conversation it was empty. She wants them back! i tried using "wondershares, Dr. fone" to get them back but no go! The phones running ios 7.0.4. Yes i know that aparantly 7.1 has performance upgrades. she didnt have the required space to install it. So now what? she texted me all about the issue and when i took a lot at it i got her using her old phone so she doesnt overwrite any of the data.. in Settings>general>usage. it says her texts are 300 something megabytes.. she only has a few texts she sent out. Are the old ones still there and how do i retrieve them back on her phone? Let me know thanks..

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

iOS 7 on the iPhone 4 sucks. iOS 7.1 is better, but personally I wouldn't want to have to use it on a daily basis.

If she doesn't have a backup to restore from, most likely her texts are gone.

3. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

Is there no way of apple recovering her texts? Like come on.. Apple has been doing a lot of things that is just driving them into the wall. What idiot at apple said "yeh, the iphone 4, can barely type on text in ios7, let alone play games or go on facebook at decent speeds, LETS PROMOTE IT! " we had ios 6.1.3 when we went to get the phone replaced due to the power button not working, and they said, "all we have is ios 7 iphone 4 phones..." ugh

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You could always ask Apple if they can recover the texts, but I'm guessing they'll say no.

In all honesty, the iPhone 4 was released almost 4 years ago(and it wasn't exactly a great performer to start with.) It's time to upgrade.

5. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

I realize the phone was released 4 years ago. Apple should have as well and should have cut it off at ios 6.... However. not all of us can afford a shiny new iphone 5s... Providers are still selling the iphone 4. And as to apple. Come on they are smart enough they should have a way to recover the software.. We also did a backup of her phone.. Do you think maybe restoring it will restore the texts?

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I didn't say she needed a brand new 5s. A used 5 or a 5c would be a huge upgrade.

Providers in the US? Pretty sure the low end iPhone being sold is the 4s. Granted, it doesn't look much different than the 4, but hardware wise it was a pretty big improvement.

Data recovery is expensive and not covered under warranty.

If you restore from a backup, it'll restore the texts that were on her phone when the backup was made. If she uses iCloud, those backups may be more recent than one done with a computer.

7. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

im in Canada.. The iphone 4 is still being sold today for around $199. We got this one over the summer. Im not looking for an argument. im sorry if it seemed i had any intentions of doing so. I did not. I appreciate all your help.

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yeah I have an iPhone 4 and it sucks but it never lots my stuff on me. It's just really slow and drops frames all over the place and I type two sentences before it puts them on the screen and really it just can't handle life. But unless you restore from a recent back up with the text they are gone. But come on let's be honest do you need those text? The only reason I could think of that those would be needed is to prove bullying. So just convince her that she doesn't need those text and was never going to look at them anyway and if she was that's just weird.

9. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

well. Do you think maybe its a hardware issue? or should i just say screw this, Lets restore from the backup from 2 months ago and update to 7.1. BTW is the 7.1 update really a big performance upgrade on the 4? i've read online that its alright, but being a iphone 4 owner, what do you think?

10. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yeah there's no a hour at goes by that I don't say to my self that my phones 4 years old and it sucks REALLY BAD. And I want a 5s more then anyone could imagine but really we any afford a new 5s. I just tell me self every day just to wait until next December 21th and then I will get my upgrade :D

----------

Yeah 7.1 is a big upgrade. I don't think you should restore from 2 months ago just deal with what it is now. You don't really want to go back 2 months in time do you? When apple releases new software I just backup wipe my phone clean install it and them put it all back. I don't think it's a hardware issue

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

iOS 7.1 is a nice upgrade. I'd suggest putting the phone into DFU mode and doing a clean restore and setting it up as a new phone. It's possible that some of the problems she's having are software related and could come back if you restore from a backup.

12. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

well we will defiantly be upgrading to ios 7.1 soon. We will see maybe the apple store can do something for us though. For now. thanks for the help.

13. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

My iPhone 5 froze in a very similar way earlier. I was replying to another post in here in Safari, and it was lagging horribly while I was typing. Then it froze and the last letter I typed was stuck popped up and kept flashing gray and the signal time and battery indicators kept disappearing at the same time. I had to hard restart.

My texts are still there though and I'm running 7.1.

14. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

If u have done a backup before this issue then there is no problem.. All the messages till the backup date are saved.. All after are not...u need to restore ur phone and restore from last backup..but the first thing u do should be update to 7.1