Froze, will not start up, hard drive makes strange noise

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by redaxe, Dec 28, 2008.

1. redaxe macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am in a rut with my trusty 5/2007 release Macbook (120GB mid-range model with 2GB RAM stock from Apple) that gave me a shocker today when it freaked out. It froze, something that had never happened to me before. Apple+Option+Escape didn't work so I had to restart. Once I did this, I got the file-system error (the flashing folder with the question mark in it) and my hard disk has been making this noise that sounds like its trying to spin up and get going but fails and tries again and again and again. Please help me fix this. A few things:

I am currently away from my home so my Mac install disk isn't with me
    I do not have another Mac nearby or a firewire cable to try and salvage data in disk mode.
    I do not have an Apple store readily available around me.

What do I do? I'm in college and I desperately need my Mac back otherwise I stand to not be able to complete 3 papers in time and hence fail 3 classes. Gosh; such is our dependence on technology today. I would greatly appreciate any help. I have considered trying to take the harddisk out and reseat it but I don't even have a screwdriver small enough to get the screws. Thank you for any help.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sounds like your hard drive is going. You need the install discs to be able to boot up from it and run disk utility.