Frozen Dinners

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pimentoLoaf, Apr 9, 2009.

1. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Oven or microwave, they are oh so ... delicious?

Which ones are good, or bad, or middling, or exceptional?

And have you ever scooped everything out onto a plate to impress someone with your cooking expertise?

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Hot Pockets are surprisingly good for microwave food, which I normally detest.

I've tried many of the "healthier" brands - my favorite is Lean Cuisine. Healthy Choice is okay, and the Weight Watchers frozen stuff is just bad (although I'm a fan of their program).

If you've never tried them, Marie Callender's and Boston Market are worth a shot, too.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

They're okay from time to time, food for the engine. If I've been out on a hike or working all day I don't mind one. Not the cheap ones though, thems nasty. M&S do some okay ones. None stand out but any of their pasta dishes are acceptable.

Do microwave burgers count? I loves me some Rustlers and Feasters :) only manage to go through one a month but the rib and chicken ones are beautiful.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

5. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I've not found one that I ever thought "wow, that was tasty". "Not that bad" is about the best I've seen.

And nowadays I count sodium so I come to see them as being even nastier in that regard.

I remember when I was in university I'd pop one, maybe even two trays of Michelina's pasta as a mid-afternoon snack. Can't do that anymore. :eek:

6. danny_w macrumors 601

In general they are all bad, but still much improved since I was a kid in the 50's. I have actually been pretty impressed by the HEB store brand dinners as much as by any of the others. I tried an HEB cheese enchilada entree (no extras) a few days ago and it was actually quite edible, unlike many of the others. But in general they (any of them that I have tried) are only good when nothing else is easily available.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Those things are awful and not fit for human consumption.

8. danny_w macrumors 601

There are a few that are better than others, but yeah...

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I only eat frozen foods from Trader Joe's. Those are awesome.

The ones from the supermarket (Safeway, et al) I avoid.

10. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I try to avoid them, but if I can't, I've been somewhat enjoying those Hawaiian Teriyaki Bowls you can get at Costco.

11. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I like Lean Cuisine and Lean Pocket dinners. They are much better if you add a little flavor in the form of cayenne pepper or hot sauce.

12. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Same here.

13. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I agree. I don't eat frozen dinners. I might eat one frozen pizza a year, but that's it.

14. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Then you are missing out! Personally I try to stick to eating bacon instead. :D I find that the Lean Cuisine are decent. I really like their sandwiches.

15. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Don't own a microwave. On the very rare occasion we have a M&S prepared meal it obviously goes in the oven.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Use some of the frozen stuff as ingredients in another meal, like the Chicken Chile Verde from Trader Joes makes a good mix to flavor a mix of cheap roast chicken and cheese used as a Chile Relleno stuffing.

Of course that means having a local store that has nice fresh chiles in their produce section.

17. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Stoufers Mac and Cheese or the fish and mac.

Frozen pizza Freshetta 4 cheese round pizza. Best frozen pizza I have ever tasted.

18. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

I agree with most that frozen meals suck...however, I've come across some pretty delicious Marie Callenders frozen meals. The roasted chicken, green beans, and mashed tatters are the best!! :p

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yup. Almost all, if not all kinds of frozen food have high sodium or high fat content.
    Look at the nutrient label (or the unhealthy nutrient label in this case).

20. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I hate Microwave meals. The occasional Lasagna is o.k., but I usually cook that in the oven. Hot Pockets are just about the only thing I will microwave and enjoy.

If you want to see how bad these "meals" get, here you go - http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0744/

You will never touch one of them again!

21. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

Whole Foods has some of the best microwaveable meals in the world.

22. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

+1 - and unfortunately, it's not just the frozen foods that are high in sodium. Canned stuff is usually just as bad or worse.

23. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Stouffer's Lasagna offerings are VERY tasty :) Somewhat high in fat/cals but tasty.
    They have lots of real meat and don't get watery or have that cardboard taste.
    When buying frozen dinners it's good to realize that things that are normally crispy (bread, chicken fingers, vegetables, etc.) will be limp after microwaving.

Thats why I only buy things that are normally soft & mushy (pasta). :D

24. B12 macrumors newbie

Barber - Chicken Cordon Bleu is excellent!!! And not inexpensive.