Frozen iPad?! Please Help!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TorontoLRT, Jul 14, 2010.

1. TorontoLRT macrumors 6502

I was just viewing photos on my 64GB WiFi iPad when it suddenly froze! It didn't accept touch input, I couldn't press the home button, and sleep/wake and force quits didn't work. Now its switched to an Apple logo with a little "please wait" spinner in front of it, and doesn't seem to be frozen, but still won't respond to my input.

EDIT: Nevermind, the problem fixed itself. My iPad just rebooted after about five minutes, although it is scarily hot now.

EDIT2: I was surfing photos again, and when I came to the same photo it happened on last time, it happened again! Could there be some kind of virus in the photo or something?!

2. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

Doesn't sound like the problem is fixed to me if the iPad is hot. Even after hours of heavy duty use it's never felt even warm to my touch.

3. TorontoLRT thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya, and to make matters worse, it won't turn on now! It's brand new, so I'm going to try syncing to my PC, and if that doesn't work, I'll have no choice but to return it.

EDIT: Syncing worked. I'm definitely removing the offending photo, though.

4. Tulipone macrumors 6502

I have had the iPad freeze when playing video. Holding down the on and home buttons for a few seconds forces a reboot.

I swapped out mine (after demonstrating the issue) in an Apple store.

5. TorontoLRT thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I don't want to swap out my baby unless I need to, but if it keeps doing this, I will. Anyway, thanks for reading and helping!

6. Perihelion macrumors regular

I had a freeze when I put it into standby. Screen went off as expected but then wouldn't come back on again. In the end, I did the 5 second lock and home button reset and everything went back to normal. Never happened again after that. It happened in the movie app so I wonder if that's where the bug is since others are talking about freezing during movie play.

7. MikeTemple macrumors member

MikeTemple

It sounds as if there is something in the photo's data that the iPad can't cope with, and it gets stuck in an infinite loop trying to process it. That would explain it overheating. You'll want to delete that photo to stop it happening again.

I've got some info on resetting your iPad at http://www.templeofipad.com/how-to-reset-your-ipad/. Hope it helps.

8. TorontoLRT thread starter macrumors 6502

I did delete it, and all other photos work fine.

9. wordfanne macrumors newbie

Glad You're Here

I registered for this forum simply to thank you all for being 'here'. My ipad froze, I froze, time froze.....and then the thaw of a google search found YOU, and within seconds--really, seconds (which, pretty much ruins the whole 'my world froze' bit I guess), I read the magic words: "pressing the home and on keys for a few seconds reboots..."

Thank you for your help, and bye!

10. TorontoLRT thread starter macrumors 6502