Frozen iPhone 3GS OS3.1.2

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by m85m85m85, Jul 28, 2010.

1. m85m85m85 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Sorry to be one of those people who sign up an account just to get help with something, but I've been searching on this for hours now without luck!

I've got a frozen iPhone 3GS which I am pretty sure is running OS3.1.2. It's jailbroken, and today froze up for "no reason" whilst just sitting there doing nothing.

I've tried all combinations of the home and off keys to try and restart it but with no luck. I can get it into recovery mode. I was then going to restore it to factory settings via iTunes but that forces you to upgrade to the latest firmware (4.0.1?) -- which can't be jailbroken(?). When it was bought it was probably running OS3.0.0 or 3.0.1 (but it wants to go to the latest!).

I've also tried downloading a 3.1.2 3GS ipsw file and using an old version of iTunes to try and use the SHIFT + Click Restore trick to update from THAT ipsw file, but it goes to verify the install with Apple (before doing it) and then just complains and stops.

And I've tried to use the Spirit unlocking tool thing which worked brilliantly on a new iPad just two weeks or so ago, but it doesn't recognise the phone at all and so doesn't do anything.

A friend previously had a similar issue on his 3G with OS3.0.1, but the phone sort of "came good" after about half a day and oddly restarted okay in the end. Maybe I should keep hoping this might happen here?

Or does anyone have any other ideas on what I can do to this phone to get it running and jailbroken again? It *really* needs to be jailbroken, as I'm off to Germany (currently in Australia) in two weeks (permanently) and am planning on using this phone for internet tethering with a laptop/iPad, and not to mention that the Australian network it's contacted to (will pay out contract) may whinge and not unlock the phone at the end of the contract. So without the jailbreak, it becomes a useless iPod touch.

Any help would be *hugely* appreciated! Sorry if this is covered elsewhere; I have done my best to search, I promise!

Thanks,
    - Matt

2. andy071202 macrumors member

did you back up your shsh ?

can you remember anything that prompted you to click on make my life easier
    if you did then you are in luck (for the restore to 3.1.2)
    if not then i'm afraid you have to update and wait for the jailbreak 4.0.1 to be released i hear rumours that it wont be long untill it is released

you could try a kick boot ? just a suggestion may not work but no harm in trying

http://ipitg.net/how-to-kick-iphone-out-of-recovery-mode-mac/
    http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/07/irecovery-iphone-recovery-mode-loop-restart/
    top one is for mac and other is for windows they will help you to kick boot your iphone

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Try plugging it into the wall socket for a day.

4. MCHiiFii macrumors newbie

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Phisher.

6. MCHiiFii macrumors newbie

uhhh

okayy , so there is no pming here huh lol

well , first off let me know your current software ,
    and your iphone model

7. MCHiiFii macrumors newbie

what r u talking about

8. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Perhaps I jumped to conclusions. Seeing a brand new poster asking people to PM him for something that could easily be done in an open forum raises my phishing alarm. Sorry.

For the record, he already gave his iPhone model and current software in the first post, and Andy071202 has already answered his question thoroughly. There's no reason for him to seek a magical solution from you.

Also? Newbies can't PM here, for precisely this reason: they often do not know how to use them appropriately.

9. m85m85m85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys thanks for the quick replies!

@Andy: Yeah unfortunately no backups of the shsh but I did find some dodgey program that tried to extract it from the phone; didn't seem to work though. Looks like I'm going to be waiting for the jailbreak like everyone else I suppose!

I'll leave the phone plugged in to the wall overnight and see if that changes anything. Otherwise I suppose I'll be doing the restore tomorrow.

The phone was on my desk doing nothing then went to use it and noticed it had locked up on the home screen. So I tried to hold the buttons to restart it and then it hasn't booted since. Hadn't installed anything new for ages.

Cheers,
    - Matt

Also, PMing for a solution seems odd. They should be put in public so others can benefit too.

Edit: Oh and I tried the kick boot method and it didn't seem to work unfortunately :/

10. andy071202 macrumors member

well you have tried all of the solutions a would have exhausted
    am afraid u will have to wait for release of jailbreak
    a hate when that happens chin up tho it should not be long

11. damant macrumors 6502

damant

12. andy071202 macrumors member

Don't think that will help him with this
    no harm in trying but am sure it won't
    it will just frustrate him more
    personally a would wait for Jb to be released

13. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

if you are unable to get it work, when plugging the USB into the iPhone, hold down the home button, this will put it into recovery mode, you will then need to do a FW upgrade to 4.0.1 and hopefully that will work, this happened to my 3GS one time and it didnt turn on, and kept looping when trying to turn it on.

14. andy071202 macrumors member

I think the OP knows that upgrade is the answer here but he wants his phone jailbroken so although your solution is the best one for his problem it still leaves him with another A JB iPhone
    he has to wait for a working release