Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dropkickmurphys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Canada
First off I've done the following things and they did not work:
Update iTunes, attempt to access the iPod through 'My Computer', use an older version of iTunes, reboot the iPod, use a different cable, use a different computer, Warranty Expired.

The symptoms:
Plug iPod in -> Computer Recognizes -> iTunes & Computer Freezes -> Reboot iPod -> Computer & iTunes unfreeze recognize the iPod disconnecting.

This iPod used to work perfectly on my computer and no updates occured to correlate with this error. No, the new iTunes version did not fix this for me. Please believe that I have looked at many other forums offering advice and what they've suggested does not work. I plan to update to a Touch in Sept., but until then it'd be nice to get this fixed.

Creative fixing ideas only please. :apple:

Update: Today I got the iPod to connect to the computer and show up in 'My Computer' but once I right clicked on the iPod it froze again.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
I'm no good at Windows I'm afraid, but this sounds very like a hard drive problem to me.

I once got a short term fix to this by managing to completely wipe the iPod's hard drive (using Disk Utility on a mac, don't know the Windows equivalent) and then restoring with iTunes. Got a few hundred songs on it and used it as normal for a few weeks. The next time I plugged it into iTunes it did the whole freezing iTunes/the whole computer deal and couldn't be brought back.

dropkickmurphys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Canada
Well when I try to use a similar disk utility for Windows, it just freezes. If I brought this to a Mac :apple: store is there any possibility that they may be able to help me out, even if it isn't under warranty?

toronto.persona

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
I have seen these problems to many other users of iPhone. There are many utilities which are very commonly available to resolve the problem.

dropkickmurphys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Canada
For anyone who may have this problem here is how I finally fixed it.
Uninstalled iTunes 8.0, installed iTunes 7.2.
Plugged in iPod, couldn't update because iTunes was too old.
Now I could format it in 'My Computer', however.
I right clicked the iPod and selected Format.
If you're using Vista select the exFat system with the 16k Allocation Size.
Ensure you check the "Quick" option so that you don't have to wait all night.
Reinstall iTunes 8 and restore your iPod.
It worked for me, good luck. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.