Frre multi tasking for the ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Revomonster, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Revomonster macrumors regular

Revomonster

The mutli tasking update will be free for the ipod touch. This is great!

2. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Except for the first edition. Free is indeed nice though.

3. aznkid25 macrumors 6502

The only multi-tasking that the ipod touch will get is on the 3rd gen ipod touch. No multi-tasking on the 2nd gen.

4. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

And that's the one I have.

While everyone was saying that the iPhone 3GS was a "minor update" I was waiting for the faster processor to trickle down to the touch. And now us 3rd Gen adopters get to continue enjoying the latest tech without spending any money.

5. Revomonster thread starter macrumors regular

Revomonster

I have a third gen 32 gig so I am set to get this update. I am really looking forward to the folders. And the multitasking, and well everything that is supposed to come. The only thing that i am not looking forward to is the ads.

6. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Ditto.

The folders (what a brilliant invention :rolleyes:) will clean up the mess of apps on my device.

I'm really hoping that Skype can run in the background with the screen off.

7. xhArRiSoNxD macrumors regular

It's funny how Apple can give us stuff we've already been able to do on other devices and make it seem like it's a new innovation in tech.

8. DisneyRicky macrumors regular

DisneyRicky

I have a question about iOS4...Why not on the iPod Touch 1g? What's wrong with it that makes it not support this software?

9. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

It does not have enough physical memory and is not powerful enough to run iOS 4.

10. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

As has been said, the hardware simply won't support it. The processor is far too slow and it doesn't have enough memory for the new features to run smoothly. I have a 2nd gen touch with 4.0 jailbroken and have enabled multi-tasking and the home screen background, and it is so slow to the point of being a total pain (meanwhile, it totally flies on my fast iPhone 3GS). Considering the 1st gen touch has an even slower processor than the 2nd gen, 4.0 will be pretty much unusable. Apple isn't releasing it for the 1st gen for the sake of speed.