Frugal with App Purchases

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Mike in Mass, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Mike in Mass macrumors newbie

I had to laugh at myself the other day. I'm researching and agonizing over an app purchase as if it was a big decision. Hmmm should I spend $3.99 or $4.99?

Most of us will throw down $5 to get a coffee and a bagel without thinking about it. But when it comes to 5 bucks on an app I treat it likes it's a big deal.

Anyone else take these small purchases so seriously?

2. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Yep. I can't stand paying for a crappy product. With the coffee and bagel, I know what I am getting. So I take my apps for a test drive first. Then I either buy them or delete them.

3. mrathee macrumors 6502

Agreed- before ip4 i would sit for a day or two before deciding to bu the .99 app i just saw, but the same day i would spend 8.50 on lunch at work without hesitation.

thats why, since JB ip4, I have been purchasing apps, even without reading reviews, because the money goes to help the developers and it really doesn't add up to any excessive amount.

4. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I've pretty much only downloaded free apps on my iPad, I'm waiting for the stupid prices to go down.

I mean, Plants vs. Zombies HD for £5.99? Are you friggin' kidding me?

5. b.c. macrumors 6502

I use the "wish list" feature on appshopper.com - it automatically sends you an email whenever there's a price change of apps you put on your list. great for the frugal app shopper :)

(btw, appshopper.com is another creation of macrumors.com founder Arnold Kim)

6. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I'll check that out, thanks! :)

7. bluedog3401 macrumors regular

I have gotten much more frugal in the last year. The amount of free or $0.99 apps has diminished some as more are priced $1.99 and up.

Initially I was asking myself, "Its only a buck. But each one adds up."

I've been burned by purchasing apps that didn't do what they claimed or were basically poorly constructed. I am really happy to pay for apps that do what they claim and work well. Unfortunately, there are still a lot of apps that are not worth the $0.99 they are asking. Word of mouth and looking for apps with good reviews over 100+ reviews is at least helpful.

I agree you can see and know what you're getting with a cup of coffee, but you don't really know what an app is like. A coffee is for one morning, but an app is likely to be used over weeks, months or years. Even though it seems like a little purchase it is worth the time to research and ensure you're spending your money and time wisely.

Wasting money on a worthless app also wastes your time. I like the app rating/ranking sites that give you more info for finding good or worthwhile apps. I've used http://www.appshopper.com/ myself but there are several others out there specifically for listing/sorting and finding apps.

8. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Exactly. That's why if I pay for an app, I do research first. I read the reviews and I do a Google too. If I know anyone else who might have used the app, I'll also ask them what they think.

TBH, the App Store needs to have a feature which lets you get a refund within 24 hours like the Android Market.

9. abta1 macrumors 6502

I'm the same, I don't like to spend money on apps unless I know I will use them a lot, like camera+ for the iPhone. I've had the iPhone since the 2g but only bought an app a month ago, only using free apps till then.

It's hard to know which apps are worth the cost and some you will buy, use a few times and never go back to again. But with video reviews these days you can get a good idea if they are any good.

10. Leatherman macrumors newbie

It is true, I think it might have something to do with it appearing on my credit card bill, you kinda want to make sure it's worth every cent.
    When I first got my iPhone and received lots of itunes vouchers I was buying all around me.
    Many people have suggested a trial period with certain apps before you decide to purchase or not, I think this is the way forward. At least then you'll know where you stand when you spend the cash.

11. tcgeeks macrumors newbie

tcgeeks

For the frugal app lovers :)

Ironically - - I find this such an interesting discussion because running an iPad-related site means I get a ton of questions related to the cost of apps and promo codes, etc. I even get requests for free .99 apps!

For the sake of frugality....I recently did a post that took 30 hours to create which is 175 FREE Games for the iPad..and yes, I downloaded and played each one.....

http://www.tcgeeks.com/175-free-games-for-your-ipad/

12. b.c. macrumors 6502

13. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I did laugh at that, actually, thanks :D

14. saberahul macrumors 68040

I also use that site a lot but I didn't know it was from the same creator.

15. b.c. macrumors 6502

yeah, and to think he was a medical doctor before he quit his job to run these sites full time. oh and he also runs toucharcade.com, a site I visit for great game iOS game reviews - before putting any games I want in my wish list :)

16. Mike in Mass thread starter macrumors newbie

That is EXACTLY what I was referring to in my original post. Perfect!

17. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

I was just about to post that. :D

18. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

When I first got the iPad I downloaded a bunch of free apps and one $.99 app. I figured 99 cents was no big deal. Guess which app didn't work? And still doesn't work on the iPad? There were a couple of disappointments in the free apps, but the one I actually bought has never worked even after an update from the maker.

Now I read as many reviews as possible and am still reluctant to buy apps.

19. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

The whole app store model is designed to benefit Apple first, app developers 2nd, consumers 3rd. The lack of an integrated refund system like the Android Market has fostered a huge number of junky $0.99 apps... which helps Apple advertise "xxx,000 apps available!", and helps app developers make $1,000's by shear volume fueled by shilled reviews.... because after all, it is "only" $0.99.

The app store reviews (good or bad) are essentially meaningless. Some apps appear to have a wave of customer buzz (apps like Penultimate and ToDo) that quickly fade.

20. DKatri macrumors 6502

Only more recently have I started being a bit more frugal but thats because I spent a bit too much on iPad apps when I first got it. At the moment I'm considering getting OmniFocus for both iPhone and iPad but that is a pretty big purchase in comparison to most apps (about £24 for the iPad version and £12 for the iPhone).

21. iFerd macrumors 6502a

Couldn't find the post again to quote, but the person who said the time wasted with crummy applications is as important as the cost hit the target for me. Time is important and worth money to me.

22. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I don't think much about $.99 and $1.99 type apps. But I did refuse to pay $19.99 for Things for iPad.

23. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I do take them seriously. And you are absolutely correct.. I'll throw down 4 or 5 bucks like it's nothing for a coffee and a donut. But an app? Thats' a HUGE decision. LOL

24. techguy1 macrumors regular

ATM woes :D

Attached Files: