Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
A tail of woe, I bought my two daughters two used iPhone 5s (ATT models), and tested them out before giving it to them. After we got to the ATT store and the new phone lines were activated, we noticed on the way home, they're only 4G. No LTE.

I was on the chat with ATT support for about 40 minutes to no avail. His last effort was to contact the group that manages IMEI numbers to make sure they're properly on the network for LTE. This makes no sense for the following reasons
1. I put my SIM in the phones, I get LTE.
2. I put their SIM in my phone, I get 4G only.

The problem is related to how the SIM is defined on the network.

Now about 5 hours later, one of the phones started getting LTE, but not the other. This morning nothing has changed, one is still 4g. Looks like I'll be calling or seeing ATT once again.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I noticed getting anything resolved by AT&T is a complete nightmare.
One person sends you to another or gives you wrong info just to get you off the phone. Nothing gets resolved and you're going back and forth explaining your situation a dozen times to different reps to take over a week for them to put in a case for you. And then to research and get it fixed.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
A tail of woe, I bought my two daughters two used iPhone 5s (ATT models), and tested them out before giving it to them. After we got to the ATT store and the new phone lines were activated, we noticed on the way home, they're only 4G. No LTE.

I was on the chat with ATT support for about 40 minutes to no avail. His last effort was to contact the group that manages IMEI numbers to make sure they're properly on the network for LTE. This makes no sense for the following reasons
1. I put my SIM in the phones, I get LTE.
2. I put their SIM in my phone, I get 4G only.

Now about 5 hours later, one of the phones started getting LTE, but not the other. This morning nothing has changed, one is still 4g. Looks like I'll be calling or seeing ATT once again.
My I ask, is there any difference between 4G and LTE? Reading the internet articles, those two should be almost the same, or?

Cancelled
Nov 10, 2013
as far as I know, its the same thing, no matter if it says 4G or LTE on top ribbon... I had LTE for about a year and half, then my carrier released carrier update and after that I have just 4G on top ribbon... try to check Genere > About > Carrier and compare that info between your and daughters iphone

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
as far as I know, its the same thing, no matter if it says 4G or LTE on top ribbon... I had LTE for about a year and half, then my carrier released carrier update and after that I have just 4G on top ribbon... try to check Genere > About > Carrier and compare that info between your and daughters iphone
If you aren't seeing "LTE" on the status bar, you definitely aren't on the LTE network with any of the US carriers. I don't know if the situation is different with non-US carriers, but you may want to check.
[doublepost=1455547167][/doublepost]
I had a similar problem taking the SIM from my 5S and putting it in a 6; I was unable to get VoLTE until I contacted AT&T via the online support chat and the person on the other end was able to reprovision the SIM so that it was using the services appropriate for my iPhone 6. It was surprisingly fast and painless to solve.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013

Exactly the same thing happened to me...first it was LTE and after carrier update, I get only 4G. It's Telenor carrier BTW.
That is way I was asking, if there is any difference...and as far I can tell, there is none.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Have u tried rebooting the phone?
Yep, and I tried resetting the network settings

My I ask, is there any difference between 4G and LTE? Reading the internet articles, those two should be almost the same, or?

as far as I know, its the same thing, no matter if it says 4G or LTE on top ribbon..
There's a huge difference in 4G and LTE.

I don't think its the phone, and in a sense I don't think its a defective SIM, because we added two lines, and for a several hours, both phones were 4G only. Then later in the evening, one switched over to LTE.

So let me summarize, if I put the SIM in my phone, its stuck at 4G, if I put my SIM in my daughters phone, its LTE. So clearly something is limiting that SIM/phone number to the slower 4G transmission speed.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
OK, I guess it depends from the carrier. Thanks for the clarification.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
Yeah, our beloved carriers :) they just do whatever they want.....I get in average around 25 to 30 mbps on 4G.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I had this problem recently (2 weeks ago) when I switched to AT&T, LTE on my iPhone, but only 4g on my iPad Air 2. After doing the network settings reset, and a few other things, what fixed it was replacing the SIM card with a new one back at the store.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I'm thinking that's what we'll ned to to do at this point - I'm on a chat session right now, but I think we'll need to drive to our local ATT store

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I saw a similar problem when my mother upgraded from a 3GS to a 5s recently.

The phone CSR who provisioned the SIM card originally didn't provision it properly and she was only getting "4G" service on the 5s and was getting a "Call Failed" message immediately upon attempting to setup Visual Voicemail.

I called 611 again, told the rep that I had a feeling that the first guy didn't provision something correctly. The agent confirmed my suspicions, made a couple of tweaks on their end, asked me to reboot the phone, and when I did, the 5s hopped right on the LTE network and Visual Voicemail worked normally.

Reactions: aristobrat

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I'm thinking that's what we'll ned to to do at this point - I'm on a chat session right now, but I think we'll need to drive to our local ATT store
I sure hope you don't let them get by with charging you any activation fees after this is resolved. A second trip to the provider is on them, they need to eat any fees.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
maflynn,

Get a new SIM card and I'm 99% sure it'll solve your problem. Sometimes during registration SIM cards don't activate correctly on the line to reflect that your device is LTE capable. Make sure your lines have the correct "LTE" data plans associated with them and have them activate a new SIM card on that line. It should take no more than 5 minutes for that device to show LTE data connection if everything is done right.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
You got new SIM cards for the two lines, right? Also, in order to work on LTE, AT&T SIM Card numbers should have "27" or "28" in the ninth and tenth position.

And, as others have mentioned, it is still necessary for AT&T to provision the line for LTE.

GuardsRed Apple

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
Save yourself the headache and just drive back to the AT&T corporate store and get 2 brand new SIM cards made up for the accounts. Remember to actually BRING the phones with you otherwise they will not do it. They have to see the phone and IMEI numbers, etc now to give you new SIM cards. So don't forget 'em...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
As I mentioned, I was planning on going back, but I was hoping before I left, they could have resolved it. I bought two phone lines for two phones and both exhibited the same issue, but for some reason one started working after I called support, so I was hoping they could see what they did - alas they didn't.

The new sim worked though :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.