Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Hi everyone

I have been trying for a month now yo install 10.10 on my mac pro 1,1 2.66ghz. I have purchased a non apple 8800gt card which shows up in system profiler for 10.7 and works just fine except no boot screens. However I am having issues with my Yosemite install. I tried the SFOTT install and my usb's from my cinema display stop working and my keyboard isn't working no matter where I plug it in. Also, when I tried a precompiled osx installer The mouse barely tracks and is choppy and again the keyboard doesn't work. I have tried other usb ports and all to the same effect. Is there something I can do?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Offhand, have you considered replacing the 1,1 with a model that Apple supports?

A lot of headaches will disappear - and you'll have a much faster system!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Offhand, have you considered replacing the 1,1 with a model that Apple supports?

A lot of headaches will disappear - and you'll have a much faster system!

Thank you but money isn't available, I'm hoping there is another solution to this problem as many people have easily done this upgrade

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
How would I do that and would that change the usb effect?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
How would I do that and would that change the usb effect?

you need to give more info, better still post in a thread that is specific

is your keyboard an Apple one?

A Microsoft one?

Logictech?

If you want help, give details, don't make people drag them out of you.

I suggest having EFI as it makes this sort of thing easier, without EFI you will only see something if all drivers get loaded.

Putting Yosemite on a 1,1 is easy if you make it easy, and difficult if you make it difficult

Easiest way is to use a supported Mac and Firewire disc mode, replacing the boot-eft as last step

but better to put a post in a thread on this, and over-include details about the pieces you have

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Fair enough, I'm using an apple wired keyboard and wired mouse. I'm not having any problems seeing the install but actually using my usb's. I've also been able to install the os but only because luckily my Bluetooth mouse and keyboard I also have get recognized. Odd thing however is the computer no longer recognizes that it has a wifi card. I also had managed an install before but after updating the software the computer no longer recognized the Bluetooth card as well.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Thank you but money isn't available, I'm hoping there is another solution to this problem as many people have easily done this upgrade

Start saving money for a new computer now. You're living on borrowed time - sooner or later there won't be hacks to bypass Apple's "you should buy a new computer" artificial restrictions.

At that point, you'll need to decide between staying on an older version of Apple OSX that's supported on your hardware - or getting newer hardware (new from Apple or used from the web).

I can't install Windows 8.1 on my Toshiba Satellite 400 - even though it was a top-of-the-line system when I bought it (in 1995). (Actually, I couldn't install Windows XP on it....)

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Start saving money for a new computer now. You're living on borrowed time - sooner or later there won't be hacks to bypass Apple's "you should buy a new computer" artificial restrictions.

At that point, you'll need to decide between staying on an older version of Apple OSX that's supported on your hardware - or getting newer hardware (new from Apple or used from the web).

I can't install Windows 8.1 on my Toshiba Satellite 400 - even though it was a top-of-the-line system when I bought it (in 1995). (Actually, I couldn't install Windows XP on it....)

I completely understand your point and appreciate the comments but I do have a computer I run Yosemite on, I however know that this can be done on my original Mac Pro as many other people are doing it as well. I just need help with the usb/Bluetooth/wifi issues

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Tried it again this morning after successfully installing 10.9 with Macpostfactor and my Bluetooth mouse (apple) and non Apple Bluetooth keyboard. If I have any Usb devices plugged in Bluetooth option disappears. Also, wifi is no longer listed in network options now. Ethernet works however. Also, if I plug in a USB key it is not recognized at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.