Frustrated: Canadian Mac Owner

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Woodcrest64, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

I have owned a MacBook Pro Retina since July 2012. Now my Macbook is showing signs of image retention. According to an Apple rep I spoke to on the phone they do not allow me to ship my Macbook in to them for inspection/repair.

I live on island and there is no Apple store near me. I would need to travel a total of 6 hours one way and pay 100$ for a ferry ride. I would then need to do this again on the way back for another 100$.

So I spoke with one Apple tech from a reseller here and he didn't want to help me. He said I should go through Apple.

I called up another reseller about an hour away who tested my Macbook using Apple's diagnosis for IR. However he claims he didn't find any signs of IR at all. He suggested I talk to Apple.

I'm frustrated right now and don't know what else to do.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

What signs are they, and do they always appear or just sometimes? You have another 5-6 months left on the warranty, so I'd suggesting seeing if the problem gets worse over the next few weeks and trying again. If you happen to be traveling near the Apple store take it in then.

3. Woodcrest64 thread starter macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

The outline of a menu will show from any application if its left open for 3 minutes or longer.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Have you tried the "checkerboard" test that's on one of the other threads? Maybe see if one of the resellers would be willing to check it out if they see it in person.

5. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

[​IMG]

Ahhh, the wonderful advantages and disadvantages of living on an island far, far away from civilisation and the problems of the World... Stay calm and enjoy the sunset... and throw that freaking notebook in the ocean / see cause you don't need it anyway ( you might think otherwise now, but you're WRONG ). ;)

6. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Have you tried booting with an alternate known good OS and see if you can replicate the issue?

7. Woodcrest64 thread starter macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

Actually I have not done that. I did do the checkerboard test my self and that showed the IR.

Though I have heard of people who have owned IPS monitors where the IR has gone away a few months later after the occurrence. From my understanding its heat related so I'm not sure why it has taken 6 months to show up.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Wow, pretty crazy, I lived in Alsaka but would frustrate the hell out of me if I lived in Canada. Oh wait, that's not what we're talking about?

9. De5 macrumors member

If you're talking about vancouver island, there is an apple retailer, not actually an apple store but they would send it in for you. Don't live in vancouver island anymore but if you do a quick google you'd probably find it.

10. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

Our Canadian islands don't quite look like that...

11. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

My iMac used to get image retention, it certainly didn't start right away, and doesn't occur any more. In fact, I haven't noticed any image retention on the iMac for several years now.

I'd just turn my brightness down a few notches and enable a screensaver if I were you, and save myself $200.

12. Woodcrest64 thread starter macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

Well after picking my Macbook up from a reseller and being charged $40 and traveling another hour I called Apple for the third time. I spoke with a really nice supervisor who had me send in some pictures of my screen. He said he would forward them to the engineering department and get back to me by this coming Tuesday.

I will let you guys know what happens with this. Thanks again for all the comments. Hopefully this gets resolved. I would not care too much if the retention went away after a minute but waiting now 6 minutes or longer is nuts. Seems to be getting worse.

13. KPOM macrumors G5

I figured it might get worse. Now that it has, you should have an easier time getting it fixed.

14. Newfiejudd macrumors regular

I live on an Island in Canada also, and had to drive similar distances to reach an apple repair depot.
    When speaking to apple they continually told me it was normal, I to had to use the escalation service. Even with that apple refuses to really help me out. Either I drop it off at the Depot, or take it back to the apple store in the US where I bought it on a business trip. I'm currently in Calgary and will be taking it to the apple store this weekend.
    Is my imagine retention bad, oh hell yeah. Leaving a webpage I could read the old page. lol..
    Anyways I hope Apple are more eager to help you then me. I'm to the point where I'm thinking of going to the BBB with this issue, and their refusal to help me at all because I purchased it from a US store.

15. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

What?! No Apple Store on The Rock (or do you just live far away from St Johns)?! (Not sarcastic, I thought they were putting up stores everywhere these days.)

16. unobtainium macrumors 68000

I'm guessing he's talking about Vancouver Island (not sure though). There are actually four Apple stores in Vancouver (which is on the mainland, NOT the island) but none on Vancouver Island even though it has a population of 700,000 or something.

Personally I'd just walk on the ferry and take transit on the other side, assuming you are talking about Vancouver Island.

17. Newfiejudd macrumors regular

No there is certified tech in town, but the tech told me directly when I called that he didn't know how long the repair would take.
    I live about 2 hours away. I couldn't get apple to setup a return or exchange. Just bring it to the depot and they would then decide if they would repair it or not. Basically I was SOL.

18. Woodcrest64 thread starter macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

I'm on Vancouver Island. I could walk on the ferry to save the money but I still need to get to the terminal from where I live. In addition there is the time frame in which it would take the Apple store to fix my computer. Some here have had same day turn arounds and others a few days. I can't leave my job for that.

One of the Mac resellers in Victoria (2.5hrs south of me) said to me that I could get their warranty if I bought through them. Not sure what that means really nor do I know if it would even cover this issue.

If I get another Macbook in the future and there are no Apple stores then do I go to a reseller knowing what I know now or go through Apple.ca again...

19. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Although he stated he is Canadian, it doesn't necessarily mean he is currently residing in Canada. :p Don't take the fun out of it... and of course your islands look like that or even better! ( you've just been to the wrong ones I guess ) :)