Frustrated (rMBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sweetleader, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Sweetleader macrumors newbie

So I bought my first Mac computer (base model rMBP 15")with the thinking I would have no to few problems (at most screen burn in).

I've now had this computer 5 days and so far the keyboard back light has never worked and I am not able to restart or fully shutdown the computer. I've done everything I know to do with no avail. (SMC Reset/NVRAM PRAM reset) If you can tell me something I don't know in how to fix it I'm all ears. I'll even do a full wipe/reset if that will fix the shutdown issues. Just point me in the right direction.

The closest official Apple store is damn near 3 hours away and I refuse to waste $80 bucks in gas to fix a brand new piece of equipment. I hope when I call Apple support for the 2nd time tomorrow they will take this computer back and send me a new one or I'll probably just return it for good...

Very disappointed.

2. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

you are aware that you are in the return period. just do that.

3. Sweetleader thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm aware of the 14 day return period. I would rather fix the issue than waste time coordinating a RMA with the company I bought it through. It's a brand new computer, I shouldn't be having software issues.

4. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

And you're not. You're having hardware issues. It could be a lemon for the long haul. Take it back sooner than later.

5. Sweetleader thread starter macrumors newbie

The ability to shutdown and restart has only started in the last day. It is not a hardware issue, that is 100% software. Obviously the back light is a hardware issue which I plan on having fixed as soon as I can.

6. iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

I highly doubt you can be 100% sure of anything when it comes to these sort of issues.. I back the previous posts and advise you to get it looked at or get a replacement..

7. epicnemesis macrumors newbie

Dude just get it replaced.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Years of experience have taught me, that a first year model like yours is bug ridden, contains annoyances, and other time wasting frustrations.

I'd return it for a refund & buy the next upcoming model.

That's the one that will amaze you. Currently the experience is more like that of an unpaid beta tester.

9. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

The shutdown issue has been reported by a few folks. I'd expect that (along with some other bugs, such as Spotlight perpetually re-indexing) will be fixed in the next OS X release. But just on the off chance there's something machine-related, lodge a complaint with AppleCare via their toll-free number for your country. Have them extend the return period (in writing) for you if these issues are not resolved soon. If they won't play the game, exchange the unit for a new one, and keep doing so until the problems are resolved.

10. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

...and that is new information not included in your original post. Still no reason to have to mess with it so soon. Your hard drive could be going or have bad NAND (HW), your directory could be destroyed for whatever reason (SW) usually because of many forced shutdowns. Boot to an external volume and repair or at the very least check the directory structure. You could just hold down cmmd-r and re-install from the recovery partition. This will replace the system and /Library but not mess with the /Users/You account that may have illicit stuff going on. The more you try, the more you can narrow down what is having the problem. You could post your console logs from the time it is hanging, etc...

11. Sweetleader thread starter macrumors newbie

Just a geewiz update. I ended up re-formatting and re-installing OSX and all my problems were fixed... Could the update to 10.8.2 be causing my problems or is it more likely one of the few apps I installed caused an issue.

12. AirThis macrumors 6502a

And so you've created an account at MR just to share your bad experience? Sorry, but I've seen it all before...

13. Sweetleader thread starter macrumors newbie

If nobody shares the bad experiences then everything on Amazon and Newegg may as well be rated 5/5 stars.

14. stickyfingers85 macrumors regular

To be honest I would insist on a replacement from Apple anyway. At the end of the day you've received a new computer that was very expensive, and within the first 2 weeks you've had to reinstall the OS

I realise its a pain in the ass to sort out, but 2 years down the line you'll be glad you got it replaced

15. AirThis macrumors 6502a

It's the unrealistic expectations that get on my nerves. You don't want to spend the gas to see a genius? Easy solution :buy a Dell with onsite support. Go Dell go well. Bye now.