Frustrated!!! ["The operation can t be completed because the item X is in use"]

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pmcdn, Jul 16, 2014.

1. pmcdn macrumors regular

I have been experiencing this problem for years on the last few OS's (Leopard to Mavericks), different laptops and a couple of iMac's.

Randomly, when I'm trying to copy files from one folder to another folder (either on the same drive or network drive) I get the dreaded "The operation can t be completed because the item X is in use".

I have tried renaming files, rebooting before I begging the copy, turned ideating on and off, I've used "What's keeping me", but it still gives me that error about half of the time.

This is a huge inconvenience and I would really like to know if there is a true solution. You would think Apple would have solved this by now. I'm beyond fed up!

Does anyone out here know of a way to solve this problem?

Thanks!

2. AwFrak macrumors newbie

AwFrak

Same here

I have the same problem copying RAW files to my NAS drive. When I try to drag the files from a folder on my computer to the folder on the NAS I get this same silly message: "The operation can’t be completed because the item “DSC_0234.NEF” is in use.":

Any idea as to how this keeps happening and a work around would be nice. This doesn't ALWAYS occur only sometimes.

3. suzeme macrumors newbie

Not a fix as such but this works for me

I was having the same problem in both Mavericks and Yosemite, I was ready to to go back to Mountain Lion such was my level of frustration. I've found putting the files in a folder and copying or dragging that has resolved the issue.

4. EsoxLucius macrumors newbie

I've had this issue for ages, with both Mavericks and Yosemite. The only way I've found to resolve this is to copy the video files onto a USB memory stick and eject it and plug it into my WD TV LiveHub box. It's not a proper solution, I know, but for what I want it for, it works.