Frustrated: USB-C Power Adapters (cable sold separately)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rawweb, Jan 31, 2017.

1. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

So I stopped by my local Apple Store today to pick up a spare 87W USB-C Power Adapter (to keep at my desk) for my 15". Spent 80 bucks and walked out. Just got home and opened it up and realized they don't include a charging cable!!!! You gotta be kidding me! The kid that checked me out didn't even try to up-sell the cable. Also, after meticulously looking over the packaging, it doesn't mention that the cable is sold seperately. Peeved that I gotta spend another 20 bucks to get a charging cable...the old Magsafe adapters never stinged on something like this. Very confused and frustrated, feel like an idiot for not knowing this!

Wishing now there was a MagSafe to USB-C adapter so I can just use my Thunderbolt Display to power this thing at my desk. :(

2. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

It's a little frustrating, but, on a positive note, this can save money in the long run. With Magsafe, when a cable got damaged from use (or by a pet), frayed, or dried & cracked, it entailed an entire replacement of the unit (or a repair requiring someone who was good at soldering.) Now, when that happens, you can purchase only the cable instead of having to buy an entirely new brick. They should label it if they didn't, but I think the design concept behind it will, over time, become very appreciated (I have a dog that killed several hundred dollars of Magsafe and Magsafe 2...) :)

3. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Ha, well it should. The website includes that bit of info, so should the packaging. Costs people extra hassle not to know.

4. getbretweir macrumors member

I have a Nexus 6p so I've been using usb c for over a year and it's still confusing. I would've assumed the cable came with the charger too. Hang in there.

5. rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Yeah, I didn't think that it wasn't. Historically, I'm used to having the cable sold with the charger I guess.

Heck, had the employee mentioned it (kid prob had no idea, but it would have helped floor sales!) I certainly would have picked it up right then and there. Oh well, guess Apple will have to ship it now ;)

6. DanDilla macrumors member

DanDilla

I would consider buying something with a higher speed rating than the USB 2.0 the Apple one offers...

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Not sure you'll find a USB 3 speed cable that can handle 87W of power in any length longer than .5m.

8. rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

I believe you're right. Plus I don't like messing around with non apple parts for charging things. Went ahead and gave them the extra 20 bucks...

9. leman macrumors 604

Yes, I find it very upsetting as well. I do like the new design much better — you can combine cables of different lengths to better match your use case and also don't have to throw the entire adapter out if a cable breaks, but the price increase is ridiculous.