Frustrated with Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Andru1313, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Andru1313 macrumors regular

I have a MBP its about 4 years old now. Intel based.. Runs super hot.. Always has. I just replaced the batter for a 3rd time and now even with the new battery after 10 mins of it being on battery power it just shuts off. Will not turn back on until I plug it back in yet battery has almost a full charge. I did the unplug the batter and hold the power button down for 5 seconds nothing. Anything I can do to fix this? Thing just runs so damn hot all the time.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Running hot is normal. They aren't really "laptops" anymore. That being said, there may be something else bad--like the logic board or battery connector--causing it not to recognize the battery properly.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Something else than your battery is wrong with the machine. I'd try getting it diagnosed.

4. Andru1313 thread starter macrumors regular

I can take it in to the genius bar. Just was trying to avoid spending a few hundred on having the diagnose the issue

5. SmoothJ macrumors member

If you want, you can try to open the laptop up and clean the vents/fan.

Also, it could be the contacts on the battery/laptop are fowled up. Try to clean them with some rubbing alcohol.

6. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

They don't charge you to diagnose anything, from my experience. They'll let you know what's wrong with it and then tell you you're options.

7. Andru1313 thread starter macrumors regular

Good to know thanks. I installed the 1.2 update didn't have that on my machine. It won't let me in stall 1.3. I am running lion.. Says I need to be running 10.4... Odd. IDK time for a new MBP