Frustrated with Illustrator: Link view options

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by hdsalinas, Oct 9, 2008.

1. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Hi,

I am very frustrated with adobe and the way that every one of its programs uses different procedures for acomplishing the same task.

For instance, right now I have an image placed inside and object (mask) in illustrator. In indesign, all I have to do is drag an image from bridge and place it over the linked filed and it gets replaced.

In illustrator, I have to select the image that I want to place and manually replace it by browsing though a list of files. The image I want is inside a folder containing 400+ images, and since I cant see a thumbnail view of all the images I have to go one by one to see a small preview. This is frustrating and time consuming.

Anyone knows a better way to browse images inside illustrator?

2. jerryrock macrumors 6502

jerryrock

Using the Place command in Illustrator will open a dialog box for navigation. On the far right (top) of this box there is a drop down menu allowing you to choose Details, Icons, Thumbnails or Tile view.

Attached Files:

3. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Yes I remember seeing that option, but my illustrator "place interface" is switched to "use OS Dialog" (see bottom left corner in your window)

I cant find the option to switch back to Illustrator dialog, is not there.
    Anyone knows? thanks.

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

This one? Use it.

Attached Files:

5. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

I looked for that option but it was not there.

Here is the solution:

That option only shows up when you enable Version Cue under Illustrator´s preferences. I had it unchecked. Now it does give that option

Thanks!