Frustrated with low volume on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by techknock, Jan 26, 2011.

1. techknock macrumors newbie

Okay I am now seriously frustrated with ultra low volume output that I get from my Mac,:mad::(:( I had been searching through so many forums but haven't found any solution that would work out for me, so am here again asking you guys for your suggestions, advice anything. I would appreciate that a lot. Thanks!:)

PS One of my friend suggested me to try this software called Boom. He got it yesterday I guess and he says "it works like magic". Have anyone of you used it, seems like it's something new? Should i give it a try?:confused::confused:

2. keaide macrumors regular

What application do you use? The application volume setting and the system settings might be 2 different things.

Overall I have no issues with the volume of my mid 2010 21,5 iMac (the default volume setting in iTunes was extremely low, though).

3. techknock thread starter macrumors newbie

Mostly have issues with the games, movies at times otherwise vlc solves this problem, while chatting, iTunes yes even I have troubles with that...oh and i never hear the chat or email alerts when both ac and tv are running in the background. I have tried bumping up the volume within the applications as well but it hardly makes a difference...I actually noticed the difference when my friend was playing the same youtube video on his laptop (windows7) without any speakers, it sounded waaay better and from then on I started noticing the low output.

4. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

This is a good point. You have an overall (master) volume control for your Mac, plus most applications that have sound have their own volume control. Make sure that both are turned up.

5. simsaladimbamba

I addition to the hints you have already been given, I just want to add, that my 2007 iMac is really loud when using the internal speakers at half the system volume and a video player set at 25% of the application volume. And I can still hear application alerts when playing audio or video.
    If you still have Apple Care or the initial one year warranty you may check with Apple if your Mac might even be defective if the above hints prove to be not helping.

6. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

What mac do you have? Some have more speakers than others...

In iTunes, you can use the equalizer to amp up the volume, even if you don't want to mess with the frequency settings there's a pre-amp setting that you can adjust.

Also, check your mac and app settings to see if there are separate volume settings for main/music/etc. volume and warnings/sound efx/etc. sometimes there are separate volume adjustments between main sound aka speech and system "beeps".

It's also remotely possible that a wire came off of a speaker in your mac so not all speakers are on...or maybe the factory setting is too low...?

7. techknock thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for helping me out guys...got my Macbook checked...there was some issue with the sound card, that's been fixed now :D The sound's much better and I also got that Boom app after reading about it's review in macworld expo notes. I am all set to watch my favorite movie tonight :) Thanks again!